Featured Bridle Rosettes Identification

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Tmtech89, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Tmtech89

Tmtech89 New Member

Hello all! Apologies for my first post being a question. I've been having trouble identifying the origin and if possible a value for these. Was randomly out and saw a huge garage sale. These were 5 bucks and the owner had no idea what they were, and figure my Father could identify them.

Turns out they're called "Bridle Rosettes", but I can't figure out some of the designs. I'm absolutely trash at finding things on Google, and hope someone could assist because it's driving me crazy :)

Here is a link to a picture I took. If better pics are needed I can try! Very hard to take a decent pic since they're behind glass.

Thanks for all who took a look and have a great weekend!
    -Tyler

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BymYt8JqJUQISEpIQWxsQ0tXeGc/view?usp=sharing

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      104.2 KB
      Views:
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

These were 5 bucks...

Oh my goodness, Tyler! What a great purchase! Some of those could be worth good money!

Is there any chance your local library has or can get this book via inter-library loan?
    bridle rosettes book.jpg

It would go a long way toward identifying all those that you have!

You can use google - there are lots & lots of them shown there, but identifying them individually would be a real pain!

I'll be glad to look for some of them later, when I have more time. Right now, I'm about to leave for dinner at a friend's house.

Great find, Tyler! (Oh, and welcome!)

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Well, Tyler, I've had a little time to check out your little collection.

Note that collections of these rosettes tend to sell well, as do “matching” pairs (and you have SEVERAL of those!)

For comparison purposes, check out the “sold” listings on eBay. Here's a recent “sold” list, from highest price to lowest:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=glass+bridle+rosettes&_sop=16

This one, similar to a couple of yours, sold recently for $85 + S&H:
    img0 (69).jpg
    (The letters & numbers on the bottom are just a reflection & are NOT on the item itself.)

Pairs of the older (Victorian) florals seem to be going in the $40-50 range.

I must have looked at 2500 rosettes tonight, and I did not see any like your eagle/American flag ones. (I imagine that the book I mentioned earlier might show them.) There are several other flag & eagle ones, but none exactly like yours.

Suffice it to say that if you want to SELL your collection, you will find a buyer and make some money in the process! It helps to know what you have, of course, and the better the condition, the better the sale price.

Here's a bit of background info from a blog on collecting bridle rosettes:

During the 1800s, they grew popular with the riding and driving public and were produced in increasingly decorative styles. By the Victorian period, thick glass domes were covering polished brass backs. Beneath the domes, fancy, colorful diecuts and transfers would be inserted. Flowers and animals were popular subjects. The diecuts were the same ones that were so popular at the time for business cards and calling cards. This type of rosette is the most collectible, but be careful to look for damage to the fragile artwork – which should heavily impact price.

As horse riding and driving changed in the mid-1900s from essential transportation to an enjoyable pastime, bridle rosette production persisted but in decreased numbers. One of the last American producers was the Chapman Company of Minnesota. While almost no antique rosettes carry maker markings, Chapman stamped theirs, which are highly collectible.

https://www.rubylane.com/blog/categories/vintage-collectibles/collecting-bridle-rosettes/

And here's a little more from another blog:

Bridle Buttons or Rosettes fall under the category of Lorinery Collecting. [Lorinery. The craft of making the various parts (usually metal) of a horse's harness. Root word "Lorenier" from Old French which came from the Latin "Lorum" meaning strap or bridle.]

Bridle button rosettes were almost always made in mirror image pairs for each side of the bridle. Given the rough use a rosette endured, and the age of the collectible Victorian ones, it is rare today to find a matching pair.

These decorative buttons were in common use till the automobile replaced horse drawn vehicles in the early 1900's and were in their heyday during Victorian Times. They are still designed and manufactured today. Mostly decorative, they are used to hold the crown piece and brow band together on a riding or driving pony or horse's bridle. The bridle strap passes through the shank or back loop of the button.

http://mandicrafts.blogspot.com/2013/02/bridle-button-rosettes-vintage-lorinery.html

As I said before, I do think you got a fantastic deal! Best of luck with them.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very interesting info, SBSVC!

5. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Actually the one in the center of her collection is featured on the cover of the book you show.

6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Goodness, Bdigger! How did I miss that???

Thanks!

scoutshouse likes this.
  7. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

What a find and what a lovely display, too.

8. Tmtech89

Tmtech89 New Member

SBSVC, I can't thank you enough for all your efforts, and all the interesting facts, as well as the background information on these. Along with everyone's continued help :) I'm going to start listing on ebay as soon as I get my hands on that book, apparently my local library a town away has that book in stock!

scoutshouse, pearlsnblume and SBSVC like this.
  9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

apparently my local library a town away has that book in stock

Fantastic, Tyler! Best of luck with IDing all of them!

My daughter had quite an equestrian career, competing on "the circuit" up & down the East Coast, and as far west as Colorado. She, however, was seeking "rosettes" of a different kind! (As in, BLUE RIBBONS - and she has a TRUNK full!)

10. Tmtech89

Tmtech89 New Member

scoutshouse likes this.
  11. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Yep - GAR, military, etc, etc, etc! Lots of "centennial" (1876) issues, too.

scoutshouse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted