Featured brierley crystal purple coloured cut glass vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Andyjp1, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Andyjp1

Andyjp1 Active Member

89294F0A-7378-467E-B603-08F9B5FA208D.jpeg Hi all,

here’s another, brierley crystal purple coloured cut glass vase.

1.7kg
    11” tall
    10” wide

It’s a beauty

thoughts ?

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Can you show the mark? And does it say Brierley or Royal Brierley? That dates it. Again, not massive value, but nice.

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  3. Andyjp1

Andyjp1 Active Member

No marks whatsoever and unfortunately

4. Ownedbybear

OK - what makes you think Brierley, then?

5. Andyjp1

Andyjp1 Active Member

I’m just going of the inventory for all these pieces I’ve got the responsibility of selling, the previous owner knew her stuff !

6. Ownedbybear

Brierley marked stuff, as did Webb. I need to think, but I don't think it's either of them.

7. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

The shape of this vase is strange. It seems like it lacks functionality. At 11" tall, I would think there would be a point where the tapering would stop enough to hold flower stems? Otherwise, how would you arrange flowers so they stood up and weren't crowded on top of each other? Just a thought, I guess, but....

[​IMG] Like this, for example.

8. Peasnquiet

Peasnquiet Well-Known Member

9. flipper

That one is a bit shorter, but I am not doubting that they were made or enjoyed...I am really just curious (thinking out loud) about using them for flowers? Somehow it seems odd.
    But finding that blue one can help because it is not described as a Royal Brierley, and I would think that would be very important to mention.

10. Andyjp1

Andyjp1 Active Member

Before this made its way into my possession, I did see it full of flowers and to be fair, they did look nice within it.

thanks for the comments

11. flipper

I am sorry for sounding like it would not look beautiful with flowers...that was not my intention. My morning brain was just picturing the flower stems crowded into the bottom, gasping for air...but sometimes I have no idea what the reality is...as I am positive others will attest to!:rolleyes:

12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

The 2016 one on LiveAuctioneers isn't the same color or pattern either from what I see, but sold for $25.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  13. Peasnquiet

Peasnquiet Well-Known Member

Yes, correct, it is also slightly smaller - But looked like it could have been the same manufacturer given the similarities in construct and overall design. Just offering data points :)

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  14. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lausitzer-...707411?hash=item215870c993:g:9JQAAOSwvg9XfAmd

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CRANBERRY-...674991?hash=item46a6f352af:g:j~AAAOSweMJeIN0G

Sometimes if you look at the foot of cut to clear goblets, you can find more info on other items in their lines. I could find just two listings that show this same base with the groups of 3 hash marks. Don't know if that helps, but I do think that this vase is likely eastern European, exported for sale in the 80s.

I'm with flipper on fan vases. They annoy the crap out of me because I can never get the flowers to sit right. I'm not very good at flower arranging though. I think a lot of these type items were considered decorative more than functional.

Andyjp1 likes this.
  15. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

16. Ownedbybear

I think German or Bohemian is more likely than British for this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted