Featured Brilliant Cut Creamer & Sugar - Signed Fry, help with pattern, please.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by lvetterli, Feb 20, 2019.

1. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

Fry Brilliant Cream Sugar (2).JPG Fry Brilliant Cream Sugar (3).JPG Fry Brilliant Cream Sugar (1).JPG

Hello, everyone. I picked these up at the local thrift this morning. I was excited to discover they are what I thought they were, brilliant cut heavy crystal and when I could see the mark well enough, discovered they are by Fry. Does anyone have access to Fry patterns? I would love to be able to put a name to them.
    Thanks to everyone for all you do!

Linda

2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

They are LOVELY Linda, very nice indeed !!! ... Joy. :)

3. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

If you're on Facebook, there's an American Cut Glass Association Discussion Group that's great with IDs. As part of their board, they have ID/motif and flower motif pages.

4. lvetterli

Thanks , Joy, these are the first brilliant pieces I've had outside of my mom's fruit -bowl.

I will check out that Facebook group, ascot. Thank you so much for the info.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

They are beautiful. I hope you find more information!

6. Brazos

Brazos Active Member

With the gray cutting, I would question if these are ABC. However, I know little about such and will now be happy to be corrected.

Whatever, they are attractive.

7. lvetterli

Thanks, I'm still learning how to navigate the ACGA page so don't know much more yet. I know the points, canes and even the ribbing on the handle are sharp and obviously cut as opposed to pressed. The gray cutting is quite deep, especially the leaves. I do love them!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I don't think there is any question that they are cut, It's whether Fry is considered to be one of the many manufacturers of American Brilliant Cut glass ware. I feel they are.

judy, Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Fry made glass blanks for other cutting houses. I believe only those with the acid marked Fry were actually cut by Fry. Fry was out of business by 1933.

I would put your pieces in the Flower Period - Early 1900s to WWI.
    Not all pieces belonged to a named pattern. Your motifs are cane and flowers.

Christmasjoy, judy and Figtree3 like this.
  10. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

unfortunately the folks at the ACGA website seem to have the Fry catalogs on membership only access. The cane band and floral cut pattern posted here is very similar to the "Sorosis" pattern shown in the Meriden 1918 catalog. Maybe try the facebook group.

EDIT: forgot to mention, you might also check:

https://www.brilliantglass.com/

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  11. lvetterli

Thank you, thank you, you folks are all the best!

Linda

Draft saved Draft deleted