Bristolglass vase questions

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by henrylr, Apr 28, 2017.

1. henrylr

henrylr New Member

20170428_105629_resized.jpg 20170428_105257_resized.jpg 20170428_105241_resized.jpg 20170428_105404_resized.jpg 20170428_110035_resized.jpg Hi all,

I have a bristol glass vase I bought about 30 years ago. It is 12 1/4" tall, has no makers marks and is in excellent condition. Photos are attached and the last photo, of the bottom, shows where the pont was broken off after blowing. Not sure if it was blown or if pont is the right word. I'm hoping someone can provide info like when and where made and value. Also was it blown by mouth in a mold?

Thanks,
    henrylr

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

All I can tell you is your vase is done in the style of Bristol glass. Bristol glass technically refers to glass from Bristol England, and I believe was actually blue. (You'll need to double check that, as my memory isn't what it used to be.)

Your vase more than likely is from about 1880s - 19teens out of Bohemia/Czechoslovakia area.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

4. henrylr

henrylr New Member

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's only Bristol if it's made there. ;) Yes, there is a type of glass known as Bristol Blue.

This, however, is as cluttered has said. Bohemian milk glass, enamelled, late 19th into early 20th. Hand blown possibly shaped in a mould and the term is pontil.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Glass pieces of similar form and decoration have been found in wholesaler's catalogs from Bohemia. The squarish edges of the foot are typical, among other features. ca 1900 ± 10 years or so.

clutteredcloset49 and judy like this.
  7. henrylr

henrylr New Member

Not sure what you mean by squarish edges. The foot is round, the diameter, at the bottom, is 5 1/4" and the height is about 7/8".There is a slight outward taper to the outer diameter, over the 7/8" height. and it is about 5 1/2" dia. at the top. Does anyone have an idea of the value?

Thanks,
    henrylr

8. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Look at the edge of the foot looks like a flat edged circle. I do not see much demand for this style of decoration today.

Draft saved Draft deleted