British? Silverplate Tea Set, 12 spoons & 1 sugar tong

Discussion in 'Silver' started by *crs*, Jun 27, 2019.

1. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

Picked up this tea set at a thrift store while on vacation up here in WI. I believe it to be English because they have a Rd 708506 stamped on them. They are also stamped EPNS A. Would the A happen to be the maker? If so, any ideas as to who? I was unable to find them. Also, if the Rd number is British, is the date code the same as English pottery? If so, then these date to 1924. The spoons measure 4 3/4" long. Hopefully if I can determine the maker I can find the pattern.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

judy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The A on silverplate usually stands for "standard plating thickness." (The same applies in the US.)

Yes, the number series is the same for all materials - 1924 in my book.

3. *crs*

Thank you Bakersgma. Maker and pattern would most likely be like trying to find a needle in a haystack :watching:

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Unless one of our UK members recognizes the design, I think you are right, Carl.

pearlsnblume, judy and *crs* like this.
  5. *crs*

The correct term is tea set, correct? Getting a lot of the coffee, teapot, sugar & creamer sets in my research and searching Silverplate Tea Set Spoons. is giving me iced tea spoons

judy likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Try 'teaspoons' with no space. At the length you gave they might have been for something else - but they are longer than the usual "demitasse" spoons and shorter than "place spoons."

*crs* and judy like this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

*crs* likes this.
  8. *crs*

Thanks again. Looks like 12 teaspoons sugar tong set is what I need to search

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Bakersgma likes this.
  9. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Unless this for your own satisfaction, I'd not waste any more time on them. They are very common sets over here (UK) and if used at all, they just get chucked into the cutlery drawer for day to day utility. They are worth very little, in sterling they would only fetch the metal value.
    Even if you knew the maker and any name they may have used, it would not add any value.

Fid, judy, patd8643 and 2 others like this.
  10. *crs*

Thank you.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted