Featured British Sterling Badge and Antique German Competition Medal

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Barn Owl, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I bought this British sterling silver brooch. It looks like a coat of arms to me, and with the engraving on the back, I was wondering if it might be a military badge. The hinge looks older than 1929. Could the date have been added later?

20190729_122321 (2).jpg 20190729_122355 (2).jpg

I also picked up this interesting competition medal a while back. I thought it was unique because it had an iron cross on it. I'm guessing the numbers mean that it was awarded on August 6, 1916. Could it have been part of a military-sponsored event, or just a civilian medal with a militaristic flair?
    20190728_145945 (2).jpg 20190728_145955 (2).jpg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Christmasjoy, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a close up of the silver marks would help date the crest mfg year......
    the inscribed date could certainly have been added later..

Christmasjoy and Barn Owl like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Maybe just relating to Kaiser Wilhelm, some kind of state sponsored event, not necessarily specifically military? Although was right in the midst of WWI. The fine print below the laurel wreath may enable you to ID designer/maker.

Christmasjoy, Barn Owl and komokwa like this.
  4. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I didn't think of that... :facepalm: It's an E mark. I'll try to get a better picture tomorrow.
    It's L. CHR. LAUER NÜRNBERG.
    Do you think there would be any value in the medal, compared to an antique one that doesn't have a date during WWI?

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't see the value there...but...WDIK ??

those are small marks......keep a steady hand..........:playful::playful::playful:

sabre123, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

It would seem the establishment of Ludwig Christoph Lauer was quite a major one with a large staff. Do I see the letter P to the left & a little above that?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Bronwen

I'm getting the impression that in this context Eintracht means United, as in the united German states, something like an all-Germany games but so far nothing specific.

Not sure what this means?

sabre123 and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the 100 Meter Vorgabe is most probably from a 4 * 400 meter relay where the lanes unite after the first round of 400 plus 100 meters. the iron cross was everywhere in those times as a sign of patridiotism.
    the Ermine tails on the top one hint towards a place in Britanny.

9. Bronwen

This snippet is from Leonard Forrer's Biographical Dictionary, a tiny bit in the pages of his partial list of medals produced by Lauer:

upload_2019-9-3_4-22-11.png

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

We need a closer look at the little marks on the reverse of the first one to date it, @Barn Owl . I see a potential date letter of E and the lion passant for sterling but cannot tell what's inside the punch to the left of those. There are also three more further left.

KikoBlueEyes and Bronwen like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

1929 Birmingham, so that's fine. It's a municipal crest.

komokwa, Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted