Broad Border Oval Wood Picture Frame Plaster Trim - name?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by moreotherstuff, Apr 15, 2015.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Does this type of picture frame have a name, or unique keywords? The frame measures 16 ½” by 14 ¼” outside dimensions. The inside oval is about 9 ½” by 7 5/8”. It takes an 10" by 8" print. Probably dates to the first decade or two of the 1900s. I bought it because it seemed to be in better than usual condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Hi! Are the borders plaster for sure or could they be resin or gesso?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  3. KingofThings

I like your site name too. :)

4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Just thinking aloud because I'm curious but . . . do you think the frame is old enough to have had a convex glass over the opening?

Given the "tight" distance between the opening and the wooden rectangle on the back, could a convex glass be securely held on the back of the frame?

KingofThings likes this.
  5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Whoa, doggies -- wish I had seen KingofThings' question before I typed my response. I would have never asked the questions I did if the frame isn't wood of some sort. :eggface:

KingofThings likes this.
  6. KingofThings

The frame is wood but the borders don't look to be pressed wood.

7. KingofThings

I edited my comment for I couldn't write what I was saying as my tongue got in front of my eye tooth... ;)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  8. KingofThings

I've had and have frames like this and not a one had convex glass. That generally seems to only be in narrow, thick oval frames. I have a number with sailor's photos in them. One of a child in a dead-on USN uniform and I've wondered if he is the Crackerjack kid due to his stance. :)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I've seen this type of frame previously as well. Usually hunks of the trim are missing. This has only one small chip. The material is the same plaster, or gesso, that was used at the time to add relief decoration to frames.

[​IMG]

This came with thin, flat glass that looks as though it could easily be original, but who knows...

KingofThings likes this.
  10. KingofThings

Looks like gesso and it was/is easier and cheaper to cut glass straight than oval and fit it into the 'recessed' back frame.

11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Now that I've seen the thread regarding the photograph that this frame held, I will go ahead and ask a question I had about the frame. Is the wood on this plywood?

It looked that way when I saw the first picture but then I wondered from the pictures of the back and the chip whether it was something else.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think it is plywood. Quite thin, less than 1/4".

I don't think the photo is contemporary to the frame.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Okay, I feel better.

KingofThings likes this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    These are plywood with usually thin oak veneer with a compo edging. It used rectangular glass since it was cheaper to cut to size than oval glass. I have several regular thick oval frames with these squared backs for glass so they were made from the 1860s on. The plywood ones came in the 1900s. My favorite is a rectangle with two oval cutouts. Mine has my Great Uncle George and his "roommate" of 50 years. Never once did I ever hear the word gay or homosexual attached to these old life long bachelors. I called them both Uncle until they died when I was 10. They died within 5 months of each other.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted