Featured Broken vase with silver overlay - to repair or not?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Roshan Ko, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Roshan Ko

Roshan Ko Well-Known Member

Hi Everybody

This is a glass vase with silver overlay work on it. I am not sure if it is Venetian glass with silver overlay.

In any case, the base has broken. I was planning to get a silver base made for this, and then stick it in.

However before i go on spending this kind of money - I wanted to know is it worth it? In the sense, is it worth spending good money behind this, which may not be worth anything per se.

I know its a difficult question, but to rephrase and quantify - would you spend USD 100-120 to get this restored. i.e. add a silver base to it.

broken bottom Venetian Galss 2.jpeg
    Venetian Glass 1.jpeg

Base which is broken
    Venetian Glass Bottom.jpeg

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

@kyratango Let's ask Kyra's opinion, she is awesome with repairs!!!

scoutshouse, judy and kyratango like this.
  3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Thanks @wiscbirddog :happy::joyful:
    I have no idea of the value of the vase if it was pristine... So much damage will command high price for restoration, and it will remain a "broken, restored piece", which anyway would impact the reselling value:(.
    A repair like this is way above what could be done at home... Apart for glueing the base shards and get the top grinded flat by someone who works on glass...

komokwa, cxgirl, scoutshouse and 5 others like this.
  4. Roshan Ko

Thanks @kyratango .

I don't expect it to be done at home. The silver base would be made by a silversmith. I guess its a lot of work to be undertaken. I did not factor flattening the base. too risky i would think in case it breaks. I know it sounds ridiculous worrying about a broken vase breaking further.

Ultimately i agree it will be "broken, restored piece" but is it even worth trying to make it one.

or better that it be bid good bye.

scoutshouse and kyratango like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Here in my Norther CA area, a vase with silver overlay would sit for $125. If you knew the maker of the sterling and glass (e.g. Gorham silver over a famous glass maker, then the price would be higher and it would still sit)

I think you would be better off, cutting the base flat and wiring for a lamp.
    I would not spend $100 to repair unless it has great sentimental value to you. It won't bring back the value of the vase.

Time frame on the vase is probably early 1900s. I don't think it is Venetian. Could be American or English.
    Any marks on the silver to indicate who did the silver work?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

You could even turn this into a very pretty night light.
    Oriented like this with the bulb up in the vase. I'm sure you could find some sort of cap for the broken area after it was cut and smoothed.

upload_2019-7-24_8-20-34.png

kyratango likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

'Cluttered' has a wonderful idea!!! The color contrast of the vase and silver is outstanding! If the repairs needed are in the price range you mentioned, I'd definitely do it, but I'd be keeping it not selling it!!! Somehow, I'd find a way to repair it!!!!! IMHO!!!

8. Roshan Ko

@clutteredcloset49 Thanks.

no sentimental value attached. Somethings need to be viewed rationally.

Agree with you suggestions. May be will try and see if anyone is there who can smoothen out the glass or get it cut.

Will keep this group updated on the progress.

clutteredcloset49 and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted