Featured Broken Victorian Puff Brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I have a strange compassion for broken pieces of jewelry. I feel like when a piece of jewelry shows wear, it tells a story (or at least allows me to invent one in my head). Also, I want to learn how to repair and repurpose pieces of jewelry.

I picked up this Victorian brooch for 50 cents today. As you can see, part of the gilding has flaked away to expose the brown (resin?) surface below. The pin is also absent. Is there a way to repair the gilding to hide the flaw and replace the pin? Am I the only one who likes to buy worthless things?
    thumbnail (14).jpg thumbnail (15).jpg thumbnail (16).jpg

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It's not gilding,the piece was die stamped with extremely thin metal and then filled with pitch to make "solid" and reduce smashing.

@kyratango
    may have some suggestions

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  3. Barn Owl

Could the back have been made with a different metal than the front?
    It looks like gold to me, but it's tarnished. Do you think it might have some gold content.

4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

It was probably originally gold filled. A sweet little piece but trying to restore it will cost you way more than it would be worth even if in pristine condition. Best to let this one go :(

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Do you have a Sunshine cloth? Might try a little rub down on the back and see if it cleans up.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

there are times when you gotta save a nice old piece from the junk pile........

Buy ME next !!!!;):rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. Hollyblue

Barn Owl likes this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

if found in Germany then most probably Schaumgold.

Barn Owl and kyratango like this.
  9. Hollyblue

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Barn Owl, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Germans and Austrians generally sell this as Schaumgold, but many have their own definitions of the term. Some don't realise it is actually gold, which is good for buyers. Consequently I have a box full of them, I also like them very much.:happy: Sooo, you're not the only one who buys 'worthless' things.

It is as Holly said, sheet metal, usually gold. Yours looks silver backed, if so it is pretty safe to say the front is gold. My Schaumgold jewellery tests between ca 14-22k, so not bad.
    If you polish the back you will see if it is silver, if so, probably ca .800 or .835.

These brooches were generally made in Germany and Austria (etc) during the Biedermeier period, from ca 1840-1860. So not really Victorian, because Victoria never ruled that part of the world.:pompous:;)

Many Biedermeier brooches were converted to pendants, which is what I would do with yours. The C-clasp is still intact, just close it very carefully with pliers and add a bail to it. When you work on something like this, remember it is fragile.
    As to the front, clean it up, and kyratise.:playful: Kyra has already been tagged, she will put her thinking cap on and no doubt come up with a brilliant solution.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Barn Owl, Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  11. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

If mine, I'd spray it with windex, (not soaking...) filled the gap with gesso or self hardening modeling paste, egalize the surface, and rub with tiny amount of appropiate gold color "Rub'n Buff" Amaco metallic wax then buff to shining gold effect:)
    Though the hinge is still present, it is a pain to find a convenient replacement needle part:banghead: So, you could only carefully bend the C clasp and add a bale to wear it as a pendant.:joyful:

12. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Haha, AJ, was typing while you answered :joyful: Great spirits meets;):kiss:

Barn Owl, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Some one has already made it wearable as a pendant. See #1
    Looks like it can be hung in either direction, horizontal or vertical.
    See #2 - looks like "C" has been closed into a circle.

Just needs a jump ring added so a chain can be used.

upload_2019-1-14_7-39-26.png

Barn Owl likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Most of those brooches have that, it is usually too delicate for a jump ring for a necklace, which is why I didn't suggest it. It was used for very thin safety chains with pins.
    The C-clasp is sturdier.

15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Barn Owl , you asked whether anybody else has bought damaged jewelry items on purpose. I have! Except usually have not tried to fix them. I especially remember an oval-shaped brooch in a brass setting, made in China. It was covered in glued-on beads that looked like pearls but most likely were not. Many of the beads were missing when I bought it. But I liked the way it looked! -- This happened years ago.

16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I'd list it as Puffbrosche on ebay.de.

Barn Owl likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Don't lead the boy astray!;)

18. Barn Owl

I'll have to keep my eyes open for more of these! I have a couple puff pendants I've found, but I don't think they're gold or as old.
    Thanks! I'll try that .

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted