Featured Bronze Bird Note (?) Holder Desk Accessory

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Dec 5, 2020.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen something like this hinged, long-beaked bird that appears to be a desk accessory? Thumbing down the back of the head opens the long beak and clamps down hard on what is put into it. I'm guessing bronze on marble. I'm not a birder, so I don't know what bird it is supposed to represent. It's very cool though and appears to be from an earlier time. I'm guessing that because of the bottom, which has a thin protective surface and the fact that it evokes a time when paper rather than computers were the focus of a desk. There are no maker marks.
    Can anyone help me with search terms? I really don't know what someone put into it to hold that wouldn't marred by the beak clamping down so hard. It is 5.5" long and 2" wide. I appreciate any help.

IMG_7951.jpg IMG_7966.jpg IMG_7952.jpg IMG_7954.jpg IMG_7955.jpg IMG_7956.jpg IMG_7958.jpg IMG_7960.jpg IMG_7963.JPG

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. KikoBlueEyes

4. KikoBlueEyes

5. i need help

Is there some letters here?
    Also, you can take a flat mirror to look for marks maybe under beak and head feather. B0BC4396-E224-49A0-BBDC-340620F98B41.jpeg

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

Sorry, I don't have flat mirror but are you talking about these marks? The first two pictures are both of the sides, the third is the mount and the others are on the lower part of the beak. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get a flat mirror.
    IMG_7968.JPG IMG_7970.JPG IMG_7971.JPG IMG_7973.JPG IMG_7972.JPG

7. i need help

It was where the base of the bird is attached to the marble. It looked more like lines. Maybe nothing.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

I appreciate that very much. The three examples I've seen so far with your help haven't spoken to a maker's mark but I'm game to explore. I just don't own a flat mirror.

i need help likes this.
  9. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Know nothing..but really like it !!!;)

i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

I couldn't wait to grab it as soon as I saw the worn spot on the back of the head. I knew it was going to be interesting. I got it home and started playing with it. It's much better than I originally thought.

kyratango, janettekay and komokwa like this.
  11. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Great looking piece! I’ve never seen that one. I see the one with the hand all the time, I like your bird better.

12. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. I think it's quite nifty too.

Draft saved Draft deleted