Bronze/Brass Asian? Vase

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, Aug 1, 2014.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I am thinking maybe Japanese? Older or more recent?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    With that hole in the bottom I bet it started out as a lamp. I get the feeling newer since I do not feel the quality is there for an antique. JMHO
    greg

3. User 67

User 67 Active Member

The shape is off. I wonder if it is India imitation of Japanese. The color of the patina looks right for an old piece, but the application of the finish is a little wonky, isn't it? It may have been done in the 1890s as a cheep export. I think the wear on the inside and the base might tell you better. People sold pieces like this right next to the authentic ones in decorator shops from 1890-1930, and even later.

It would say too much about me if I told you what the detail at the neck looks like to me, and for the same reason I never reveal the results of my Rorschach tests, neither.

4. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies.
    How is the shape supposed to look like to be Japanese?
    Not sure what do you mean by the finish being wonky?

5. User 67

User 67 Active Member

Asking what it is suppose to look like to be Japanese is like asking what an orange is suppose to look like if it were a root vegetable. It is suppose to not look like what it actually looks like. There are many classic forms of Japanese bronze vases, and this doesn't look like one to me.

It is too tall and skinny, like one of those melted coke bottles they used to sell at the fair. The bottom stacked moldings look European (ogee), not Japanese, like something they do in India exports.

When you look at photo 2, the black areas look like a bad antiquing, while the brown looks like a traditionally applied patina that they used in those old Japanese bronzes.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted