Bronze/brass censer ( Japanese??)

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Marzena, May 16, 2019.

1. Marzena

Marzena Well-Known Member

Once again me ( I promise this is my last post today)). I suppose that this is a bronze( very heavy, doesn't attract strong magnet, and there is this warm shade - but I am not an expert), and I think that this may be Japanese, because some time ago I've found similar form of censer on Christie' site (here it is), but with a different relief . I have no idea, if it is genuine item, or a later copy, or just a good fake, and besides information on Christie's, I've found nothing about history of this kind of censers. Maybe you will know more about, please.

Oh and I have to add it: I totally fall in love in it))

20190516_160706_compress60.jpg 20190413_073945_compress59.jpg 20190413_073950_compress42.jpg 20190413_073931_compress91.jpg 20190413_073828_compress26.jpg 20190412_092421_compress31.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's lovely...full of movement.
    the casting though...seems a little on the rough side...& not very crisp....leading me to suspect it's not as old as it pretends to be .......

Jeff Drum, i need help and Marzena like this.
  3. Marzena

Yes, especially this tiny ornaments on the base ( they aren't so intricately detailed). Do you know more about this form?

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    i need help likes this.
  4. komokwa

not really...but I think it may be missing a lid on bowl..

5. komokwa

upload_2019-5-16_12-44-18.jpeg
    meiji bronze.....the form is known....

Marzena likes this.
  6. Marzena

Yes, the lid is definitely lost. But because I am optimist, I have a hope I will find it one day in a box of brass and bronze items ;-). Writing more seriously, I see at time to time separate lids, so,there is always a 0,001 percent of chance, that I will find it)

komokwa likes this.
  7. Marzena

Yes, i know this tripod form, they appear at time to time on auctions, but this peculiar form is new for me. I know, that Japanese items were often copies of Chinese ones, and even more often with continental influences ( if for export). I am curious, if this form is genuine for Japan, or has the Chinese source.