Featured Bronze? Brass? LADY BUDDHA STATUE - WHO IS SHE? AGE? INFO?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Aug 15, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Found this at my local thrift store; is it bronze? brass?
    Who is the lady?
    Any idea of age?
    Finally, is it a "good" statue or a cheap one?
    Any info will be appreciated - I bought her because she was cheap, heavy, and looked old- is it a home run?
    Thank you!

ART STATUE BUDDHA LADY 1A.jpg ART STATUE BUDDHA LADY 1AA.jpg ART STATUE BUDDHA LADY 2AA.jpg ART STATUE BUDDHA LADY 3AA.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Although it doesn't look very chesty by Hindu/Buddhist standards, it could be a dancing Apsara, or heavenly nymph (angel).
    Pretty recent, not top quality. People love these for home decor, so it will sell.

3. gerspee

gerspee Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry is right and recent (toerist) replica but always some interested for decoration as is :angelic:

4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

I am trying to get both of my legs, to mimic her position at the same time...

What was the sproing sound?

5. journeymagazine

Is it bronze? Brass? Cast Bronze? Pot metal?
    Again it is really heavy if that helps

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

F4E1ED68-31EA-4E68-A73C-F6CD6B0D8EA0.jpeg Metal knowledgeable people will want to know if it attracts a magnet. What are those whitish looking spots on the arm?

7. silverthwait

The misery of psoriasis.

8. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

WAG 1: sprue marks that were sanded prior to applying finish, but something in the sanding process prohibits the finish from "sticking". :bucktooth:

WAG 2: sprue marks that were sanded after the finish was applied. Originally, this was my #1 WAG, but I decided they look much too neatly done for that. :joyful:

kyratango and i need help like this.
  9. silverthwait

Shoot! I knew it was a disease!

10. Any Jewelry

You need one of those cast metal plants to support you right knee.:)
    That was the sound of someone trying to do it without one of those cast metal plants....:D
    I could give you a sheer endless list, but I don't have it in hand, you have.;) As inh said, people will want to know if it attracts a magnet.

11. Any Jewelry

Vitiligo.

12. silverthwait

Good one, AJ! I'd have gone with that if Sprue hadn't been already to hand.

13. jsnggltt

jsnggltt Well-Known Member

She is a Dancing Dakini (likely from Nepal)

"The naked and sensual Dancing Dakini represents the primordial consciousness in pulsation; a cosmic force of pure joy stripped of defilement. The Dancing Dakini is lifelike and radiating in rapturous bliss, her face is divine in features and serene in expression, body well proportioned and vigorous in movements. As her upper torso is swaying in an arc, she is dancing with a bell in her raised right arm, with left hand holding a symbol, and arm extended to counter her right foot in mid air, striking a perfect balance with her bending left knee, which resulted in a sinuous and graceful dance rhythm. In spite of a few minor casting faults, the eloquence of the Divine Feminine remains vivacious in this spirited dancing goddess." BuddhaMuseum.com

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 11.32.10 AM.png

ps: The item in her left hand is a playing stick

14. jsnggltt

Often the weight of these statues is exaggerated by filling the base w/ a concrete like material then covering it with a thin sheet of metal. From what I can make out in the picture you posted that seems to be the case here.

15. Any Jewelry

Journey's is not made in a Nepali style, maybe she is from neighbouring India. The face certainly looks Indian. The iconography would be the same.

16. jsnggltt

I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to. Could you be more specific?

17. Any Jewelry

The iconography is the specifics of position and attributes, which would be the same in Tantric Buddhist India and Nepal.
    But the face and crown on journey's statue look Indian, whereas the face and hairdo with cosmic flame on the one you posted look Nepali.
    So different cultures depicting the same mythical being in their own way, but both following the general rules of how to depict a dancing Dakini. Just different details, more in keeping with their own culture. That is the way it usually is in Asian religions.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    komokwa, Christmasjoy, Jivvy and 3 others like this.
  18. journeymagazine

Spot looks like paint/color loss? It does not attract a magnet

Christmasjoy, kyratango and Jivvy like this.
  19. journeymagazine

the bottom is not covered or filled with anything

Christmasjoy likes this.
  20. journeymagazine

Draft saved Draft deleted