Bronze cat with tray

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Rhiannon06, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Rhiannon06

Rhiannon06 New Member

Screenshot_20210217_113449.jpg Screenshot_20210217_113505.jpg I know this is a long shot but I have been looking for this exact bronze cat

It's styled after the cat butler by Diego Giacometti and is free standing with very defined features and rather bug eyes.

My dad saw one at a hotel and fell in love with it. I'd love to get him one of his own.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2021
    Van_Poperin likes this.
  2. Rhiannon06

Rhiannon06 New Member

Screenshot_20210217_114500.jpg This is the one my dad saw

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2021
    ritzyvintage likes this.
  3. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

4. Rhiannon06

Rhiannon06 New Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. ritzyvintage

As numerous copies being made, they are probably quite popular items to collectors. It may prove difficult to locate an original example, but if you're not fussy perhaps keep looking on eBay for a modern-day replica.

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Rhiannon06

Rhiannon06 New Member

I think my biggest problem will be I'm looking for a replica that is quite different from the original design
    I've seen a few that are much closer to Giacometti's original, but my dad liked the style of this random copy which looks much less sleek and elegant

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Hi, @Rhiannon06 and welcome to Antiquers. This might not help much, but we had a discussion thread a few years ago about this kind of figure. Thought you might like to read it. I agree with @ritzyvintage that depending on the level of the reproduction you might find something to your liking on eBay.

Here is a link to the old discussion thread: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/can-anyone-help-identify-this-statue.25079/

The person who started the discussion has never come back, although many of the people who replied to the thread are still active members here.

komokwa and Rhiannon06 like this.
  8. ritzyvintage

If you join the "LiveAuctioneers" site you'll be able to use their free 'Alerts' service. You'll receive email notifications every time a Giacometti piece is being offered at auction.

Rhiannon06 likes this.
  9. Doot Boi

Doot Boi Well-Known Member

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401697118698

No one on eBay seems to have one, and know what it is at least. Closest I found was a vintage ad advertising a bird feeder of the same design.

Figtree3 and Rhiannon06 like this.
  10. Rhiannon06

Rhiannon06 New Member

Thank you for that. I'll give it a read through!
    My dad saw the cat in 2019 so it's been a while that I've been looking. I've seen similar (closer to the original design) but very few of this dumpy, bug eyed one. Thanks dad

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Rhiannon06

Rhiannon06 New Member

That's very helpful. Thank you!

12. Rhiannon06

Rhiannon06 New Member

Typical. Gave the thread a look and the cat belonging to the original poster is exactly what I'm after

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. ritzyvintage

Its a sad fact of life that many collectors have no choice but to settle for 2nd best. Original items of all types can be very thin on the ground, and we often spend our entire life searching for something we have 'seen' and we know is 'out there' somewhere. But, when you consider how many pieces were made, how many have been lost over time, and how many are already in private hands, our own chances of obtaining an example becomes ever more slim and sometimes impossible.

14. Rhiannon06

Rhiannon06 New Member

That's very true. I have my own antiques collection and my favourites are the strange little oddities that I doubt I'll ever find again

Figtree3 and ritzyvintage like this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Darn it!

16. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

“standing cat butler” now has to be one of my favourite googles ever!
    63F70FBB-E9E8-45C0-A8A8-78DA2B251E98.jpeg
    Is it anything like this one?

Figtree3, komokwa and ritzyvintage like this.
  17. Rhiannon06

Rhiannon06 New Member

Yes! That looks quite similar!

The amount of times I've googled "Cat Butler", you wouldn't believe. Often I get results of the characters from Black Butler as cats and stuff, so it's always a fun Google search

Van_Poperin likes this.
  18. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

The style of the face is similar to what I used to see sold as Balinese here in the UK. No idea of they’re produced there as copies, but there’s one sold on US eBay as that/Indonesian (item no. 183552538159). Sorry no bug eyes, but it’s cheap so I don’t feel bad showing you! I hope you do eventually find something that makes your father happy :)

19. Rhiannon06

Rhiannon06 New Member

I would love to see

20. Trish3420

Trish3420 New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted