Bronze/Copper Eleanor of Aragon bust

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by bluumz, Nov 25, 2022.

1. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Not really sure what this is made of… Copper? Bronze? Painted spelter? No idea, I'm completely out of my wheelhouse but I love her.
    She resembles Francesco Laurana’s Eleanor of Aragon bust, or perhaps his Bust of a Princess.
    Purchased in the Midwest US, from a wealthy local estate with lots of high-quality antiques.
    Measures approximately 9 inches or 22 cm tall, and 8 1/4 inches or 21 cm wide. Weighs 5 pounds.
    No marks anywhere that I can find. Looks like it once had gray fuzzy fabric on the bottom but now there's little green felt pads.
    Vintage? Antique? Contemporary decor item? (I got a great deal so whatever she ends up being is fine with me.)
    Any info appreciated. :)

(I can scrape the black spots off with my fingernail.)
    D23F912F-EEE8-47B5-88E3-8B89E3A9BDAC.jpeg D15610D8-81F5-4A02-BDDA-507AA91D71A5.jpeg
    0030B999-6522-482B-BE36-42710D6B28BE.jpeg 86D74578-D4BF-4629-ABBA-CF4D6C94FD0F.jpeg 0DA9B502-8DCC-4479-8CD1-582EF5CAA7A9.jpeg C871E80A-D8C2-4A97-80AA-3F3B670AE4D1.jpeg 706B2F36-2986-41C0-96B0-89EEA365BDBE.jpeg 88C3B330-3BF4-405E-8733-187338E907F8.jpeg
    E3BBE528-7641-43A1-A5D2-327F86B1E76B.png
    C364B0D8-901B-4360-AC66-FA88D3236A27.png

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It looks like copper sheeting over concrete or unrefined plaster?
    I love her too.. following :)

Any Jewelry, komokwa and bluumz like this.
  3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Concrete hadn’t even occurred to me.
    I think too heavy for plaster.
    Interesting.
    The bottom looks/feels like metal but I don't know...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Yes copper clad,like the silver clad nouveau over porcelain vases.beautiful,deco meets medieval.

bluumz likes this.
  5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I found THIS. Same size but a bit different. And bottom looks very different.

6. bosko69

good catch bluumz-90% there.

bluumz and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe that one is Elenor of Taragon ???;):playful::playful:

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

or maybe yours...was kicked around a frat house !!!

bluumz likes this.
  9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

komokwa likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

12. bosko69

Here is another bust by Francesco Laurana,late 1400's ,who did the original Aragon Bust.Every bit as sublime as the realist busts of the Roman Republic.A towering Master,but not a grade school name like Donatello or Michelangelo.Formal but not stiff gothic,transitional early Renaissance. LAURANA.jpg

komokwa and bluumz like this.
  13. bosko69

-kind of made me gasp when I first saw it.The Laurana Aragon Bust seems to be an archetype that was admired and copied by generations of sculptors.Her headdress changes but not that expression. A more meditative,less mischievous Mona Lisa.
    Now one can ask-what was Laura's source ?
    PS-Is this another view/rendition of Aragon he made.Artists would sometimes do multiples of their own popular/personal favorite works ? Prob easily answered in the Goog Labyrinth.

bluumz likes this.
  14. bosko69

This Laurana has similar base carving as Robski's. LAURANA 2.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  15. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

All so serenely beautiful! I suppose that's why I couldn't resist the purchase of my copper clad rendition.

komokwa likes this.
  16. bosko69

Bluumz- Your copper one's really beautiful,'found at a Midwestern Estate Sale' (like this version a lot-Arts & Crafts/Deco vibe).
    Are Estate Sales still,after Covid,as crazy as they used to be ? They were like small 'wars'-shoving,pushing,elbows & some real hate between dealers ! Sometimes good,good stuff-but...

17. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Thank you. :)

I don't go to many estate sales because the prices are generally higher than I want to pay. When I do go, it's usually on the last day (for bargain prices), and late in the day (to avoid crowds). If I've seen something listed that I really want, then I may go on the first day... but still not until later in the day. If it's still there, good... if not, oh well I didn't really "need" it anyway. :rolleyes:
    I hate crowds and rude pushy people. I don't need or want anything that much.

I actually purchased this from a family member of the estate. It had been priced quite high during the sale and hadn't sold. She had listed estate leftovers on FB marketplace, which is where I'd been watching it and waiting for it to become affordable.

komokwa and antidiem like this.
  18. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I remember my Big Ten college days and meeting fraternity boys... they'd always say, "Don't call a fraternity a frat... you don't call your country a c*nt!" :wideyed::rolleyes::hilarious:

komokwa likes this.
  19. bosko69

Good strategy-sounds like a kinder,gentler way to treasure hunt.You're right,if it's still there-it was waiting just for you.After all these years,I'll leave the fever of battle to the kids and the older lunatics.

bluumz likes this.
  20. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

My piece is unmarked (research indicates some simply had a paper label/seal), and has an unusual "hammered" type of finish, but I'm just adding the following link and photos to this old thread of mine for info purposes.

"The Pompeian Bronze Co. started out as Galvano Bronze, the first commercially produced art metal industry in the US. The named was changed to Pompeian after the founders sold their company to it’s employees at the turn of the century. Pompeian continued in business through the end of 1920s creating beautifully plated and painted art nouveau style bookends using permanent mold, solid white metal castings. In 1922, they sold the molds and electroplating tanks to the newly formed Marion Bronze Co."

"The Pompeian Bronze Works traces its history back to the Galvano Bronze Company, a New York City firm founded by Paul Mori around 1889. Galvano Bronze was one of the first American commercial companies to use bronze electroplating and electroforming. Its earliest products were architectural elements. The company introduced bookends into its product line in 1915. In the early 1920s, the Galvano Bronze Company was sold to its employees and became The Pompeian Bronze Works. Peter Manfredi, an employee, filed 27 book and lamp design copyrights with the U.S. Library of Congress Copyright Office in 1921. The company continued using the bronze electroplating (bronze-clad) and electroforming using white-metal (often pewter) or spelter (zinc) to make ashtrays, bookends, and lamps. In addition to a bronze finish, the company painted some of its products. Scholars are not able to agree upon the end date for the company. It appears that some of the Pompeian Bronze Company molds were acquired by the Marion Bronze Company."

"The website http://eurekaifoundit.us/antique/metals.html notes in its “Fiction” section: “It’s bronze because it’s marked ‘Armor Bronze,’ ‘Pompeian Bronze’, or ‘Marion Bronze,’ False. These pieces are zinc with copper coating, produced by the ‘Electroformed’ or ‘Galvano’ process.” The website suggests lightly tapping a suspected bronze piece with a pencil. If the sound is a thud, it is zinc. A faint dull ringing tone indicates brass. Bonze has a clear ring tone." https://www.harryrinker.com/col-1577.html

Pompeian Bronze Co. busts:

pompeianbust1.jpg pompeianbust2.jpg pompeianbust3.jpeg pompeianbust4.jpeg pompeianbust5.jpg pompeianbust6.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
    Figtree3, komokwa and Bronwen like this.