Bronze crab ( Chinese? Antique? )

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Andythefinisher, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Morning all, bought this over here in England from an auction ( not fleabay )
    Is it Chinese and is it an Antique?
    I do have several bronze’s so I’m sure that it is bronze, it was described as Chinese but that mark doesn’t look like an Asian mark to me .

BD43359E-0E5B-4EDE-A47E-49CA5A17BB0B.jpeg 1C00B2AE-7EA4-430B-B28F-6D72C611BE68.jpeg 40D29F6F-1649-4934-957A-5666B9CFCE57.jpeg B1F39C56-1D16-4374-8001-8B9C5D33A601.jpeg

kyratango and Boland like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

duplicate thread

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. komokwa

4. I followed the suggestion that I put the thread in the metalware forum.

kyratango likes this.
  5. komokwa

OK......but I followed the practice of informing our members that a previous thread already has a lively discussion going , with a wealth of information that should be paid attention to...

6. komokwa

a good suggestion.....if the topic had not yet gotten underway, and if the item was found not to be old.....
    or suggested to be an antique .....where in which the Antique Forum would be the better place for your crab.

also......the suggestion is from a new member with 360 posts.....still finding his way around.....as opposed to my take on things.... with just shy of 54,000 posts to my credit......

see my point ?;)

Still, it's here so no reason to delete it as it may serve to be seen by metalware lookers in the future...:):):)

kyratango and Andythefinisher like this.
  7. Apologies, I’m on the naughty step now

8. komokwa

not at all...... &. I hope I don't sound.....' crabby ' ...:playful::playful::playful:

9. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

To be fair, the suggestion wasn’t for you to put your items in metalware…the poster underneath your post said he was going to put HIS there xx
    Easy mistake to make if indeed could even be considered a mistake xxxx

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    kyratango, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

This crab is super fun! It might be Japanese Okimono (objet d'art). Wondering if it is from Meiji period? We had a couple that were articulating and they did really well in auction.

kyratango, komokwa and NewEngland like this.
  11. Matahari

Matahari Well-Known Member

Is this articulated ?

kyratango likes this.
  12. Unfortunately not

kyratango likes this.
  13. Update. I’ve found an almost identical crab on 1stdibs , it has the exact same mark/stamp and is described as Japanese Meiji period , a little suspicious that there could be 2 almost identical crabs with the same stamp ! Hmmmm

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    kyratango, Boland and BoudiccaJones like this.
  14. komokwa

ya, but at least you're still looking.....and that's a plus around here !!

kyratango and Boland like this.
  15. JunkshopJim

JunkshopJim Active Member

Put your claws away before we all leg it.

komokwa and BoudiccaJones like this.
  16. JunkshopJim

Why would that be suspicious. Most manufacturers made more than one of each of their wares. Its not cost effective to make one offs. Usually the mark signifies the manufacturing company or individual so is more than likely to be the same.

kyratango and Andythefinisher like this.
  17. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

These things are beautifully made and very cool. Just had a alook on 1stdibs. But wow those “1stdibs” prices!(as we know) Especially for the articulated ones.

Andythefinisher and kyratango like this.
  18. JunkshopJim

Yes 1st dibs prices are insane. 5x more than usual. Some of the descriptions are a bit dubious too.

Andythefinisher, kyratango and Boland like this.
  19. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that sellers on 1st dibs inflate their prices because the sellers pay so many fee's. I believe it is up to 40% commission to the website and 60% to seller. I only used 1st dibs for comparables which I was appraising something for Replacement value/Insurance.

komokwa likes this.