Bronze gilded Buda I think

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Jemb, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Jemb

Jemb New Member

Hi All
    Can anyone please identify the small statue a picked up, its 14cm high

Thank you in advance of your help

johnnycb09 and Houseful like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Your figure is a "Medicine Buddha" - Buddha depicted with his right hand in the varada mudra position, indicating the granting of a gift. He also holds a sprig of a medicinal plant in his right hand, and a small jar of medicine in his left.

Your particular figure looks like a recent Chinese decorative casting. In the photo of his right side, it looks like there is a seam in the casting. If so, this would indicate that he was made in a multiple piece mold, from which many identical castings could be made. Traditional figures of this type would have been made using the "lost-wax" technique of casting, which produces only one, unique casting.

Any Jewelry, Aquitaine and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Jemb

Jemb New Member

Thank you for response on this
    do you know what sort of age this item is and what the stamp is on the bottom

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

My guess would be late 20th - early 21st century. Not old. If you can post a closeup of the stamp on the bottom, one of our members who reads Asian languages may be able to translate. Please select "full size" when you post your photo.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

I agree, Chinese and newish, the mark says "Made in Qianlong Reign" but that doesn't mean anything.

6. Jemb

Jemb New Member

I will have a go
    upload_2021-11-20_18-24-15.jpeg

2manybooks likes this.
  7. Jemb

Jemb New Member

Thank you Mat
    with the info I have received today i know what to look for if I come across these in the future