Bronze Mortar Age & Origin

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Mat, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Hi, I have this bronze mortar, bought inn Southern Europe. Could you please help me to determine it's age and origin? Thank you very much!

m2.jpg 244560148_1385060455224708_7056157202059408273_n.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice, Mat. The shape is pretty generic, it is one I've always liked.
    I will tag @Shangas for you.:)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    Mat and Boland like this.
  3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Looks of proper age and definitely antique to me. No idea how to accurately tell the age or origin (must be the general design and shape and also maybe the shape of the handles) But see: Italian around 1890’s so (from what I could find)

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Yes,very nice. Would be interesting to know more..

Mat and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Thank you Any Jewelry and Boland! Yes, it is a generic shape, I tend towards Germany, 19th c so far but I hope someone will know more...

Any Jewelry and Boland like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Shangas lives in Australia, so hopefully he will see this tomorrow.

Mat likes this.
  7. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Origin: Someplace, somewhere.

It looks like an ordinary, lathe-spun brass or bronze mortar. There would've been millions of these made throughout Europe. Unfortunately there's no foundry marks or anything punched into the metal, so there's nothing to go on.

It's been dropped at least once. You can't hide that massive dent on the rim. But you might be able to remove that if you're careful.

All I can say with certainty is that this isn't a reproduction. You can clearly the marks of age all over it, and it all looks very consistent throughout. It's certainly a nice piece.

Mat, Boland and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Thank you very much, Shangas! I think I will leave it as it is, with the dent. It is part of it's history...

Any Jewelry likes this.