Bronze or Cast Iron Horse Sculpture signed

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by ZeeFinds, May 25, 2022.

1. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

I might bid on this item at local auction. Anyone have any ideas about origin and/or value? Cast iron or bronze? I can't match the name. I think it's a Slavic name in Cyrillic?
    Krodms, Knodme, Krodmr, Knodms...

front.png back.png sig.png

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

The Horse Tamers – one of four horse statues on Anichkov Bridge, Saint Petersburg
    aab.jpg

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Not sure there is much taming going on there! I think the horse has definitely got the upper hand :joyful:

Bronwen, ZeeFinds, sabre123 and 5 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

People Tamers.:playful:

ZeeFinds, Bronwen, sabre123 and 4 others like this.
  5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

A magnet will stick to cast iron but not bronze.

Bronwen, ZeeFinds and sabre123 like this.
  6. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

My hunch is that it's cast iron. Thanks for the info and funny observations.

I think this is a match: https://www.lotsearch.net/lot/piotr...-cast-iron-sculpture-depicting-a-man-49736102

In case the link doesn't work (subscription site with limited free views) here is the description.

A Russian cast iron sculpture depicting a man taming a horse. After one of Baron Petr Karlovich Klodt von Jürgensburgs four sculptures “The Horse Tamers” on the Anichkov Bridge at Nevski Prospect in St. Petersburg. Signed Bar[on] Klodt (in Cyrillic) and stamped P. Samonov (in Cyrillic). Kasli Iron Foundy 1890, marked with the Imperial Warrant as purveyor to the Imperial Russian Court. H. 43 cm. L. 36 cm. W. 26 cm.

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 11.19.09 AM.png

Last edited: May 25, 2022