Featured Bronze plaque, woman, dog, maker?

Discussion in 'Art' started by springfld.arsenal, May 2, 2016.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Who made this 16 x 9" (image) bronze plaque? Seller thought Bradley and Hubbard was a possibility, but no guarantee. ???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. springfld.arsenal

Well this is interesting, here's a nearly identical image plaque actually marked B&H and pattern 1823, and nicely painted. Wonder if mine is a ripoff copy or what? Still checking. Guess we can't put real links to eboo auctions here so auct no. only is:

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Nice color on that other, but I like the frame on yours better. Maybe started as a fire screen?

Brenda Anna and yourturntoloveit like this.
  4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Springfld, that is an interesting and lovely item . . . just don't go by that "other listing" which identifies that bird as a "dove."

I "think" it is a game bird ("grouse" or "partridge"???) and she is petting her "hunting/flushing" dog. ;)

Brenda Anna likes this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Is the plaque iron? B&H would likely be. Otherwise, the B&H one might be a copy of yours. Yours appears to have finer details in a side by side comparison, lending credence to this idea. B&H did not mark everything but I can't imagine them having both marked and unmarked examples of this item. Of course, anything is possible.

Brenda Anna likes this.
  6. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about this except that I like it a lot!!

Brenda Anna likes this.
  7. springfld.arsenal

Thanks all for your input. TWO different frig magnets had no attraction for the plaque, so I'm guessing it is either bronze or spelter. I'll make a deep scratch on edge of back then use my new magnifier-with-lights-around-the-glass to see if I can tell what alloy was used. B-back soon.

Brenda Anna likes this.
  8. springfld.arsenal

Scratch test results: Material is very hard, in pic left scratch is a shallow one made by two strokes of sharp steel tool with 20 lbs. pressure. Right scratch is a deep one made with same tool but eight strokes with 20 lbs. pressure. Had to use flash on camera to get decent image, but otherwise photo is undoctored but cropped Iphone6 pic. I will let you analyze what the color in the scratch may mean, I don't want to influence your analysis.

[​IMG]

9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Spring,
    I vote bronze. Spelter would be bright silvery color.
    greg

Brenda Anna likes this.
  10. springfld.arsenal

Thanks Greg, I'd have no reason to disagree with that. Now what is the shiny metal that covers the base metal? It has oxidized to either dark gray or black. The only metals I can think of that would be used for plating something like this are silver and tin and silver might fit what I'm seeing better than tin. ????

Brenda Anna likes this.
  11. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I vote for GROUSE, probably one of the Francolins.
    dde7ed68228f874fc8195bf6888f2061.jpg

12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Never argue with a bird expert on breed!

Brenda Anna, Aquitaine and Bakersgma like this.
  13. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Veddy inner estin.

Kan't put a full link to an e b jee -bee awkshun

so just post the auction number. Clicking on it links it immediately.

Thanks, Spring.

Brenda Anna and Aquitaine like this.
  14. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thanks, Bev!

Meanwhile... I find it WEIRD that she has a tame/pet grouse and the kind of doggie who helps hunt the wild ones. I would love to know the title of this thing.

Brenda Anna likes this.
  15. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Since when can't we link to eBay auctions?

16. TheOLdGuy

I've had a few problems trying to copy and paste the URL. BUT Springs simple auction number is a direct link - just click on it.

17. lauragarnet

Oh! I totally misunderstood. I was thinking there was a new rule we couldn't link to eBay.

18. lauragarnet

Ditto! Me too.
    The only thing I know for sure is that her head gear is called a Phrygian cap.

I've been searching for a goddess who carries keys on her belt, holds a bird and has a dog.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  19. TheOLdGuy

Spring, if the ebay one is the original B&H, my opinion is that your "copy" is far superior. Therefore, if http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?campid=5337485078&toolid=10001&mpre=400214033883 has a value within shouting distance of asking price then yours is at a minimum twice the seller's BIN.

I'm also curious as to metal. The eb one is quite thin with the impression on the back causing me to think it's made out of tin.

IMHO, you have the original. What do you know about B&H? They're new to me.
    He has quite a few he says are Hubbel, which I know, but wonder if they are the real thing.

He does have a few pieces of glass which appear to be asking in the vicinity of ten times today's value.

That seller specializes in metal castings and 3D pieces and appears to be doing well. BUT out of his most recent sales. only two out of 139 sold at BIN. He accepted OBO on 137. So it's impossible to calculate how close he gets to asking. Not useful for comps.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  20. TheOLdGuy

INTERESTING LAURA......

I COPIED AND PASTED SPRING'S EBAY AUCTION NUMBER DIRECTLY FROM HIS POST AND PUT IT IN MY POST ABOVE. 12 DIGITS ONLY. LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED WHEN I POSTED IT.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    lauragarnet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted