Bronze Ritual Wine Vessel (Hu)?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Bethany Jackson, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Bethany Jackson

Bethany Jackson New Member

20200810_103759_(1)_(2)_(1)_(1).jpg Hello. So I'm trying to verify if this is a real bronze vessel or not. It was my grandmother's until she passed away. It was nailed down in a fancy shadow box on 3 sides of the vessel. I took it out and it has the bright green patina on it on all 4 sides. It's pretty solid and has some weight to it. I was able to see if the patina was real or not by wiping a little off with lemon juice and baking soda as I read online and it worked. Still not sure if it is the real thing or not. The vessel has about a total of 52 engraved inscriptions. On the inside there's some hardened build up crust and on the outside on the bottom, it has some orange like build up. Please help. Anyone knows anything about these kind of antiques? I did very little research so far

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Bethany. I am sorry, it isn't antique, but made in the style of Archaic Chinese bronzes.
    It was probably put in the shadow box as one of a series showing different Chinese styles.

sabre123 likes this.
  3. Bethany Jackson

Oh ok. Thank you

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I hope it isn't too much of a disappointment.

5. Bethany Jackson

It's unfortunate, but do you know what type of metal it can possibly be? I tried the magnet test as well and it doesn't stick.

6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Could be Spelter/"pot metal" = zinc alloy.

Welcome to the forum!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Bethany Jackson

Oh ok. Thank you! I really appreciate it.

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

those snakes at the top and the animal in the mid remind me of Australian Aboriginal paintings.