Featured Bronze Sculpture does anyone know this artist

Discussion in 'Art' started by RRobS, Jul 8, 2022.

1. RRobS

RRobS Member

Bronze Scupture does anyone know this artist. Looks like it's signed A.Soffa '36. Can't find a matching listing anywhere. Does anyone know the artist? 1914.jpg 1920.jpg

elarnia, judy, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

OMG I love those !!!!

judy, Any Jewelry and NewEngland like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Almost impossible to do an internet search with "A. Soffa" because you-know-what comes up.

Debora

johnnycb09 and NewEngland like this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Couches,couches and more couches Debora ! Ive tried every way I can think of but no dice. I did find other artists with the name Soffa,but most were younger and their work looked nothing like this.

5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

A.Soffa,1936-perhaps a piece from the WPA,part of FDR's National Recovery Act NRA,(not the 'boom-boom' NRA). Many of the 1930's National Parks grand lodges,scenic highways,hospitals,schools,government buldings,etc were built by WPA Programs.
    The program employed hundreds (thousands ?) of artists,sculptors,photographers,writers,playwrights,actors ,musicians,architects,engineers and builders etc to get Americans back to work during the Great Depression.
    A lot of fine 'reigional' artwork came out of the NRA/WPA programs-Soffa could be one.
    ...imagine that.

johnnycb09, Gus Tuason and judy like this.
  6. RRobS

RRobS Member

Thanks, I was thinking the same. There was a lot of WPA work done here in Oregon and many artists moved on to other careers. Appreciate the response

judy likes this.
  7. bosko69

RobS- I'm an Oregon person too ! Bless all those 'old timers' who built Timberline Lodge,Multnomah Falls Lodge and Columbia River Highway.Roosevelt went head to head with the Supreme Court to get those programs through-including Social Security.
    The great wheel (or broken record) of history.

judy likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Doesn't look very American to me but... that's just a feeling, not an educated opinion.

Debora

9. bosko69

Maybe it represents 2 elder gents in a pool contemplating each other's hair blow ? Mythos,friendship,who knows-Mr or Mrs Soffa had some talent.This artist perhaps has a sense of humor,some whimsy,like Joseph Levine,Saul Steinberg,etc.
    You know how family names were misspelled when the emigrated thru Ellis Island in New York,here's a few iterations of Soffa (boy-I sure did indeed see some nice,unaffordable Couches on Google Image !)

Soffa Name Meaning
    Altered Form Of French-Sauvé (See Sauve). Compare Sopha-German: Unexplained. This Surname Is Rare In Germany. Compare Sopha
    Source:Dictionary of American Family Names ©2013, Oxford University Press
    Similar surnames: Soha,Sopha,Goff,Baffa,Sousa,Sosna,
    Socha,Socia,Hoffa,Buffa
    PS-As Debora says,could well be European.

Draft saved Draft deleted