Bronzed Jockey on a Horse Jumping Sculpture

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, Dec 26, 2014.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I have not find a signature yet but will have a closer look tomorrow. I am thinking this is possibly a recast. Trying to find the same sculpture on google but no luck so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

Well it certainly looks older, judging by the underside. If it's a recast, it's an older one, which is good news for you! I like it.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

If your search terms include "jockey" you need to know that's not the proper term for this guy. He is an equestrian on a "jumper" or "hunter."

That swirly piece holding the horse up in the air is quite bizarre.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  4. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I *think* it's supposed to be a tree stump.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I agree on the "tree stump."

With a fence there I suppose it saved the artist from sculpting a hedgerow to evoke "cross-country" riding.

6. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

And also gave them something to hold up the horse. :D

7. yourturntoloveit

I'll second that. :hilarious:

Messilane likes this.
  8. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Steeplechase or hunter jumper. I need a side view of the sculpture to even begin to search for another. Without a good side view it's hard to say what that is suppose to represent in the middle under him. If a tree, then the artist made it look like the horse got stuck on the top of tree trunk. :wideyed: It's hard to imagine a horse trying to jump a tree trunk. Usually the artist uses a fence or wall to support the horse making it look like the horse is jumping over it. This one looks like it got a silly tree trunk right before a fence/rail/obstacle that the horse is jumping. The most famous steeplechase is the Grand National in Liverpool. Remember the movie National Velvet with Elizabeth Taylor (Velvet Brown). She rode her horse, The Pie, in Grand National steeplechase. I believe in Steeplechase races the rider is called a jockey; however, don't know if this sculpture is portraying a steeplechase or a hunter jumper event. I suspect it is a hunter jumper because the rider has coattails flapping in the breeze; therefore, is wearing a hunter's equestrian attire of helmet, breeches, hunt coat/shadbelly, tall boots, etc.

--- Susan

https://www.google.com/search?q=bronze steeplechase sculpture&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1YeeVN6FKMyWNtnNguAI&ved=0CB8QsAQ&biw=1143&bih=621&dpr=0.9

https://www.google.com/search?q=bronze steeplechase sculpture&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1YeeVN6FKMyWNtnNguAI&ved=0CB8QsAQ&biw=1143&bih=621&dpr=0.9#tbm=isch&q=bronze hunter jumper sculpture

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    Bakersgma and yourturntoloveit like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Wouldn't the hose tack indicate what kind of sport is involved here ?
    SOS ??

10. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. Took some better photos.
    Looks like the inside is filled with cement or plaster.
    There are quite a few places on the sculpture with white chalky material stuck in grooves and holes. Don't know if it got there during the production or later. It will probably come off but may leave some scratches and dings during removal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

12. yourturntoloveit

Shiloh, your photo of the different piece of sculpture does look like a hedge the horse is attempting to clear. It also does a nice job of portraying the grass/vegetation under the horse. I also notice a slight difference in the saddles in the two sculptures (not that the two sculptures are meant to be alike anyway).

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  13. spirit-of-shiloh

LOL it IS a hedge, I read the item dsecription after I posted the link...need STRONGER coffee. :p

14. 707susang

707susang Active Member

I am no expert, just the Mom of an ex-rider - but I don't think I would use the term "steeplechase" regarding OP's piece. For one thing, he's wearing a jacket.

I think it's just a hunter-jumper?

I miss those days......

DD.jpg

15. Bakersgma

Exactly, Sue. I've got a sister and niece who rode in jumper competitions for a long time. The jacket and helmet in particular is what I was referring to above^.

707susang likes this.
  16. Bakersgma

And welcome home!

707susang likes this.
  17. 707susang

707susang Active Member

I wasn't familiar with steeplechase garb, both rider and horse, so I googled it.

American jumpers can have all manner of proper garb depending the name of the exact event.

18. 707susang

707susang Active Member

Ah......thank you!

19. spirit-of-shiloh

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    Bakersgma likes this.
  20. spirit-of-shiloh

Draft saved Draft deleted