Featured Bru Doll Automaton, real or repro?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by opoe, Aug 23, 2017.

1. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

No one wanted her, all dusty and nicotine stained, when we, the closest relatives, were sorting out my uncle and aunt's treasures in Belgium...I felt sorry for her, so I decided to take her. At home I brushed off the dust and dirt and I discovered a winding mechanism on her pedestal, so ofcourse I had to try that, a melody played and then... she started to move her arms and her head, I totally did not expect that! Fascinating! Then I looked at the back of the head for a signature and it said Bru J...(the rest is hard to read), so I looked that up online not knowing much about antique dolls. I think she is old, but apparently the Bru (a world famous doll company from Paris)dolls from the 1800s have been copied a lot.... 2017-08-19 09.46.03small.jpg 2017-08-19 09.46.03small.jpg

Attached Files:

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

WOW!
    ~
    Please Full Image all your photos always. :)

3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

My opinion is that this doll is a reproduction. The Bru french doll is exquisite in beauty and perfection, the bisque and face and especially the eyes were gorgeous and painted to perfection, a true delicate beauty that comands some of the very highest prices in the doll world. Your doll falls far short of that ideal, her eyes and eyebrows are poorly executed .. the eyebrows are even a different length, and the lashes, well, not something that a Bru Jne would have, or any Bru for that matter, the clothing is most likely a newer replacement as the creases and pleats in the dress of an 1880's doll would be CREASED and no longer puffy, your best bet is to take her to a doll museum or somewhere similer to have her inspected as this is only my opinion based on a few photographs and years of study, she does need love anyway so she is with the right person, Joy.

4. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

I wish my phone would make better pictures, she looks a lot better in real life...
    I have seen Brus online that are genuine brus (the websites of some doll connaisseurs claim that at least) that have those same lashes and their faces are not perfectly symmetrical, keep in mind also that my auntie's"bru" is very small, most brus on the internet are much larger, bigger heads are easier to paint.
    If she is a reproduction then i think she is an early one, her body underneath is made of wood and quite primitive and does not contain any plastic like ones from the 70ties.
    pffff dolls are confusing...I like her a lot though even if she's not a real Bru, as long as she's old I'm fine ;)

5. Christmasjoy

Like I stated .. do take her to a reputable doll person that can handle her in person, the above is only MY opinion, I have NEVER seen a genuine Bru painted that way, and also there are MANY smaller Bru dolls .. all exquisitely and delicately painted, .. Joy.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Photographing her outside or in a well lit place, against a white background, would make a huge difference. The photo is out of focus, but maybe this is a start:
    upload_2017-8-24_10-25-32.jpeg

7. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

8. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

just some more pictures because i think she is pretty... using another phone, better pictures I think(sorry for the duplicate). You can clearly see how much the fabric has suffered over the years, and I think she's missing something around her neck, a scarf or something, because i can almost look inside the mechanism, which is covered by wood and cloth 2014-07-01 23.22.18.jpg . 2014-07-01 23.19.33.jpg 2014-07-01 23.24.13.jpg 2014-07-01 23.24.13.jpg 2014-07-01 23.20.41.jpg 2014-07-01 23.17.51.jpg 2014-07-01 23.20.08.jpg 2014-07-01 23.23.02.jpg
    I have found two similar automatons on line that have been auctioned at auction houses, if she is repro maybe those were too, and they have been misled...
    here's one: https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1560845_598-bru-jumeau-automaton-doll
    and a bit different but somewhat similar: https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/...0258/lot-b5d31f5a-45d0-4751-94ad-a55400b030ba

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  9. Christmasjoy

Like I said before, take her to a reputable doll dealer or museum. you appear to have convinced yourself that she is the real deal .. I would hope she is but I seriously have my doubts .. enjoy her .. Joy.

kyratango likes this.
  10. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

Joy, I just think she's old, I almost wish she was not marked Bru Jne, because that is where all the attention goes to, a week ago I had never heard of that company and was amazed at her being an automaton which is cool on its own.

11. Christmasjoy

Yes, it IS cool opoe when you find something like that .. but with antiques one must verify their authenticity by whatever means are available. I can ONLY give my opinion of something that I have not handled or even seen except for a few photographs and my gut instinct, PLEASE take it to someone who can see it in person. In the meantime just enjoy her .. I wish you good luck, .. Joy.

kyratango and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted