Featured Brush-McCoy Jardiniere and Pedestal

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by DigCinciHistory, Jan 9, 2022.

1. DigCinciHistory

DigCinciHistory New Member

We inherited two Jardinieres and matching pedestals from my mother-in-law. We are trying to discover more information about them to determine their value and whether we should keep them. I would appreciate help in identifying these! Thanks!

Figtree3, lovewrens, Hi2022 and 5 others like this.
  2. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Very nice. I took a quick look through all 3 volumes of the McCoy books...nothing. :sorry:

Hi2022, ulilwitch, judy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

What makes you think they are Brush McCoy?

Hi2022, ulilwitch and judy like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

haven't we had threads about this type of item..?

5. DigCinciHistory

I found the same pattern that sold online that said theirs was Brush-McCoy from 1910 (the calla lily pattern).
    https://etsy.me/3F9fmde

I am totally new at this, so I am really just asking for help and advice on whether to keep these. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    Figtree3, janettekay, Hi2022 and 2 others like this.
  6. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Figtree3, Hi2022, ulilwitch and 3 others like this.
  8. Bronwen

Welcome DigCinciHIstory. What are your criteria for a keeper? Myself, I would have a hard time parting with them, particularly the calla lily one, but that's just me.

This had a starting bid of $200 & did not sell:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5179767_6034-brush-mccoy-pedestal-jardiniere

Looks like you're not going to get rich off them.

Figtree3, Hi2022, ulilwitch and 2 others like this.
  9. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I do not like the colors of the calla lily planter, though I do like the pattern.

I like the other style better for both color and pattern. Very arts & crafts / mission style. (could not find this one in my searches)

10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Similar sets were popular in the mid-1990s and cost 29.00 new. Most were not Brush or McCoy, most were unmarked copies. I believe they were made in Mexico. It's difficult to tell the differences, the colors are the giveaway, as they were never B-Mc colors used to glaze pottery.

I noticed most of the sets shown on the liveauctioneers site are not Brush-McCoy, despite the claims...

Hi2022, ulilwitch, judy and 1 other person like this.
  11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

In looking at the bottom of #2, I don't think this dates prior to the 1990s.
    Just my own humble opinion.
    The lack of "finish work" on both bottoms is disturbing. One could cut a finger on the glaze drips. I've not seen such on real Brush-McCoy pieces. I think these may be rather new.

Yes rather recently, worth a search on this site, OP.

Hi2022, ulilwitch, judy and 2 others like this.
  12. Bronwen

Any idea how long your MIL had them?

13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That may be true in Europe but not necessarily in the US. Brush-McCoy is one of the makers that did not always mark. Agree it's not as easy to identify without marking.

15. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

16. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

I would have been way off. I would have guessed the calla lily one to be Roseville instead of McCoy so I guess both companies did this design.

pearlsnblume, judy and Bronwen like this.
  17. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Bronwen likes this.
  18. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the first one is Brush McCoy as well. Think it is in the Sanford book. Don't have my copy at hand to check.

DigCinciHistory and Bronwen like this.
  19. DigCinciHistory

Thanks for all the feedback. I have no idea how long my mother-in-law had these.
    The lily one is my favorite, too, but they have sat empty for years in our house and I think it’s time for someone else to have them.
    I did search the forums before posting, but didn’t see these particular items and needed more experts than Google could provide.

Bronwen, judy and Figtree3 like this.
  20. DigCinciHistory

Also, the first one is marked with the numbers 531 on the bottom.

Bronwen and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted