Featured Brushed steel, brass, and glass table/desk lamps - when and who?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by aaroncab, Jan 13, 2019.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Spent a bit more than I usually would on this pair yesterday - because I'm going to replace the cords and use them in my house so I didn't mind paying the full price at the most expensive thrift in town(at least they are a charity for a good cause).

Anyone know the maker or can find another example of these online? I've poked around a bit but haven't found a match. One of the sockets is marked "PAULDING". Otherwise, no marks that i can find. The wiring i suspect dates these to the 40's or 50's? Not sure of that either. There is felt on paper covering the bases, but they are peeling/falling off - I took one off to get a pic of the wiring.

They are just over 16"(41cm) tall. The single necked one I cleaned up a bit, haven't gone over the double necked one yet, but it has a bit more pitting/corrosion than the single necked one.

Thanks for looking!

45814422045_e257424499_kdev.jpg 39764964573_0fc859b5d1_kdev.jpg
    45814412295_99f11bfc2c_kdev.jpg 46677291152_9f4873212a_kdev.jpg 46005393564_d0bd680723_kdev.jpg 46677292642_2242a6f15e_kdev.jpg 45814416545_0117cf4c3f_kdev.jpg 45814422245_ffc0307b18_kdev.jpg 39764965243_0f7a7eed2e_kdev.jpg 31788539287_d071b494a7_kdev.jpg

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Gorgeous lamps!!! Quick question are the clear balls on the bottom glass or plastic? I am like you and would take them apart and rewire. When you have them apart polish the Hell out of them. really nice find. Sorry did not fully read your title. I see now that they are Lucite.
    greg

i need help and aaroncab like this.
  3. aaroncab

Yep plexiglass/lucite balls. Good advice...they should clean up nice.

judy and i need help like this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I have a ceiling fixture using those glass balls dating to 1948, so I'd say your time period is spot-on.

judy, aaroncab and i need help like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Great pics..........as usual Aaron !!!

judy, aaroncab and i need help like this.
  6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

JMHO, but if you rewire them, and I think it is a good idea, I would keep the vintage plugs for the buyer to confirm their original vintage. Buyers love to learn the history of what they buy :)

judy, i need help and aaroncab like this.
  7. aaroncab

Quick update - I now think the balls are glass, not lucite - duh. They looked plexiglass-ish to me but upon closer inspection - they don't feel at all like plastic, they are cool to the touch and seem to be as hard as glass.

Figtree3, judy and i need help like this.
  8. aaroncab

Per my update I just posted - I'm now thinking they are glass.

judy and i need help like this.
  9. aaroncab

Excellent idea!

judy likes this.
  10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Figtree3, judy, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  11. aaroncab

12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol:)
    I like the looks of your better

13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    They looked like glass to me and would make them a little older than I thought.
    greg

i need help, aaroncab and judy like this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Beautiful lamps! And I'll bet that you spent less than $1200 each at the thrift.

i need help and aaroncab like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted