Featured Brutalist art - “Pacman in love”??

Discussion in 'Art' started by Miscstuff, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Bought these two artsyfartsy wall art things this morning that were listed as
    “Two Mid Century, Abstract Copper & Brass Wall Panels” and after a
    little searching discovered they were known as “Brutalist” art. Unfortunately
    they are unsigned so had to dig deeper. The unsigned bit worries me a bit
    but there is quite a significant amount of work involved in their construction.
    They are both basically embossed/shaped/textured/coloured copper and brass sheets
    on top of wood formers with staples holding them together which makes me think
    they are C.Jere manufactured. An interesting article on them can be found here

http://www.artisanhouse.com/media/newsletter/ElleDecorArticlewithBanner-smallfilesize.pdf

Did some image searches and found the top pattern but not the bottom one. They seem to be fairly rare image wise on the net and I can't help thinking the large one is Pacman and his girlfriend doing the naughty!
    If anyone has any better ideas of originator or dates please let me know.

Sizes top 50cm x 50cm
    bottom 50cm x 90cm approx

Cheers
    Stephen

(Auction photo)

1.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id think more 80s than 50s.They are fabulous.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

4. say_it_slowly

5. say_it_slowly

6. say_it_slowly

7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Those are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Well done SIS. I must have been a bit bleary eyed when searching as I didn't catch half of those. Beginning to agree with the Stephen Chun origin as they certainly fit his style. Also discovered this "signed" one claiming to be "Jere Evans".
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mid-Centur...267749?hash=item2a927ca165:g:acEAAOSwj99Z6176
    Not sure who "Evans" is but interestingly the small printed signature on them seems to be "H.Chun". The plot thickens a little. Have asked the seller for close ups of the sticker and smaller signature to see if there are any more clues.
    Cheers
    Stephen

KingofThings likes this.
  9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Jere is highly collectible for some reason,so someone added the signature to up its value. It looks nothing like his other work Ive seen.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted