Buffalo pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Michael Denny, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Michael Denny

Michael Denny New Member

I have a 9" bowl made by buffalo pottery with no date.
    It is a roycroft pattern with no roycroft trademark.
    Does anyone have any idea where it may have come from? 0703191545b.jpg 0703191545.jpg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

This old website has some great info. The Roycroft Inn it would seem. There are photos of the old and new pattern and marks in the link, looks like the old mark.

http://restaurantwarecollectors.com...abkforum/showwiki6efc.html?title=Roycroft-Inn
    Manufacturer: Buffalo Pottery/Buffalo China
    User: Roycroft Inn
    Pattern: Renaissance (known name for one reproduction china pattern only, see photo at bottom of page)
    Date: Original, yellowed, with crazing: ~1905-~1916; reproduction: 1980s
    Notes: Web site

The Roycroft Inn opened in 1905 to provide housing for the streams of visitors to East Aurora, N.Y., home of the Roycroft Arts and Crafts community of craftsmen and artists which formed part of the American Arts and Crafts movement. The community was founded by Elbert Hubbard.

Hubbard and his wife Alice Moore Hubbard died in 1915 as passengers on the Lusitania. His son Bert operated the inn until 1938.

After that ownership changed hands several times. In 1986 the inn received National Landmark Status. In 1995, the inn reopened with support from the Margaret L. Wendt Foundation.

Today (2010) the inn is a popular destination and is furnished with original and reproduction furniture – including more than one iteration of Roycroft-style reproduction china, also for sale in the inn’s gift shop.

According to one author, china was manufactured by Buffalo in three reproduction patterns: Collectors Look – single R; Renaissance – double R; Centennial, single R. The second pattern below would be the Renaissance pattern.

The china bears a strong Arts and Crafts influence reminiscent of Frank Lloyd Wright designs, trimmed in rust with iconic crest almost resembling a Western branded R.

3. Michael Denny

Michael Denny New Member

Thank you for this link.
    I've seen it before and it was helpful.
    The mystery that I can't find an answer to, is why there is no date on the buffalo pottery mark, what is the VI mark, and why is the roycroft trademark missing?
    Could it have been a personal set for Elbert Hubbard Or Darwin Martin?
    I've exhausted all my research sources and have not heard of a piece like this mentioned.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The "why" of no date on the Buffalo mark, is because the company stopped using dates in the 20's and 30's. Lehner's shows 3 examples of the figural buffalo mark sans dares that were copied from actual dishes.

The rest of your questions I have no answer for.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted