Burmese, Bhutanese, Nepali or Tibetan...Or? Copper Panel

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by wlwhittier, May 17, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

There is so much arcane symbolism on this panel that it would take maybe 50 pics to capture it all. There's also an enormous amount of an unknown (to me, certainly) language text; the bottom of the panel alone contains six long lines of perhaps 100-150 characters each, as well as many other, shorter bits of text, throughout the entire piece.

Twelve zodiacal creatures, 8 trigrams and 8 single-stroke characters grace the large central feature.

The longer I study the panel, the more detail I find; all of it raises myriad questions. The title of the post shows my gross ignorance; perhaps none of those suggestions are remotely accurate.

It is 10⅝ inches wide & 12 inches long; the copper sheet is not of uniform thickness, varying from ~.020" to ~.030", measured at the edge in several places. Weight ~390 grams.

I have a few more pics...and will post others (my very best quality) of specific areas of interest upon your requests.

As a general question: IF this belongs properly in the ART forum, should I repost it there (duplicating this post)...or ?

Thanks for lookin'!

fullsizeoutput_924b.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9246.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9248.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9247.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9249.jpeg

2. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Twins...or nearly so. This one looks much flatter than mine, and more uniformly colored; my corners are clipped.

The two 'bulls-eye' symbols at the upper border here are, on mine, a crescent moon and a six-pointed star. Surely there are other differences, both subtle and not-so.

I'm stunned at the hammer price! I got mine maybe 25 years ago at a local church basement flea...on the last day! it was surely under $5.

Thanks, Sdcookie2...a Lot!

4. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

You are welcome, it is an attractive piece.

Born2it likes this.