Featured Burmese? smaller size Silver tankard

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Smudged, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Smudged

Smudged Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. I found this recently and while I recognise Anglo Indian silver from the 19th and early 20th to a degree, this has very fine repousse and chasing work and I am thinking Burmese circa 1880 - 1900 ish instead? or later? No markings of course. What do you think?

silver-mug-3 small.jpg silver-mug-4 small.jpg silver-mug-5 small.jpg silver-mug-6 small.jpg silver-mug-7 small.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree, typical Burmese silver, ca 1900. Very nice. I have never seen one with peacocks in the village scene.;) And the little guy climbing the palm tree, very nice.

3. Smudged

Thanks, I agree it's a lovely village scene, peacocks and all :). Glad I was on the right track, it was pretty dirty when I got it but cleaned up nicely (with gentle use of silver cloth only!).

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I do like the peacock being checked out by a couple of peahens & another one more intent on eating. The fanned tail is really like a large billboard saying HEY! CHECK THIS OUT! The real action, the crucial selling point, is going on behind. An attracted hen will stroll around & have a look there too.

Christmasjoy and Smudged like this.
  5. Smudged

Now I have an image in my head of peacock mating rituals! :D

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Bronwen

You would never know looking from the front that they are waggling like mad back there. It's just their everyday drab brown & white plumage, but definitely what the ladies come to see. The tail is the marquee; the waggling is the movie. Then she walks away again to see what other shows are on. While waiting for females, the males don't just stand still on their chosen turf, they turn a little from side to side, broadcasting as widely as they can.

Smudged and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You hád to make it worse for Smudged, didn't you.:hilarious:

Smudged, did you see it has a nice stone well too?:angelic:
    (just trying to distract you)

Smudged, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bronwen

That's why I made the point of saying the hens look, then stroll on to do some more shopping. Didn't want Smudged's imagination to overheat.

Smudged, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Smudged

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Oh good grief, now I have the whole village of peacocks strutting about in my mind!!! Fascinating though, the males preen and the girls just potter about giving them marks out of 10 :smuggrin:

Got to love a good stone well too ;)

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  10. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Fantastic find!

Bronwen and Smudged like this.
  11. Smudged

Thanks! I am often amazed at what can be found in charity shops and flea markets when people don't recognise things.

Bronwen and aaroncab like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted