But with a cell phone who needs a watch these days...

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by elarnia, Jun 26, 2014.

1. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

"Graff Diamonds has set the stage for a one-of-kind unveiling during Baselworld’s opening day. The first time exhibitor at the annual watch and jewelry fair will present the $55 million “Hallucination” ladies watch Thursday.
    The London-based diamond and jewelry firm says the timepiece covered in a kaleidoscope of 110 carats of rare fancy colored diamonds is “estimated to be the most valuable watch ever created...”

http://jewelrynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2014/03/graff-diamonds-unveils-55-million.html

[​IMG]

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

"estimated to be the most valuable watch ever created...”

I'd say it was in line for being the gaudiest, and possibly the most expensive, but certainly not the most valuable in any other terms than sheer monetary expenditure.

If the 110 carats is made up of 1000 10 point diamonds, that would be about $200,000 for materials plus about $20 per setting. I don't see how you could not make something like this for about $250,000, leaving a nice $54,750,000 profit.

I'd also say it will show the highest depreciation of any manufactured object other than the Titanic, should anyone be daft enough to buy it. It also looks as if the dial is far too small to see, or you need a wrist like an elephant's leg to wear it.

But with a cell phone who needs a watch these days...

Anyone who does not want to spend a couple of minutes rummaging in pockets to find a phone that has either run out of battery or you can't see the screen in daylight, that's who!

3. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

Actually, I wouldn't mind having those two blues either side of the dial - they would make a nice pair of earrings. But for the rest I have to agree - in fact I think I would do it in topaz, aquamarine, citrine, etc, (make the dial anything but pink!), and you would have a fun party watch you wouldn't be afraid to wear without a bodyguard. :p

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It is just a stupid thing like the gem encrusted underware. Or the soild diamond ring which is just a diamond with a hole drilled it.
    greg

5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

On the day the Harrison Lesser watch was the most expensive.

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The name "Hallucination" makes it sound somewhat unattractive, IMO.

7. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

From artistic to contrived in 10 . 9 . 8. ............ tap it, Ethel, it ought to start running again . . . .

LauraGarnet02 and afantiques like this.
  8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

I never thought I would ever see anything immensely "valuable" that I detested more than those dodgasted Sunflowers, but that watch is it.

If my mother ever saw me wearing anything so grossly, egrigiously, hideously, tasteless as that watch, she would rise up out of her grave and attack me with the hairbrush!

Besides which, to a trained eye, it is probable that actual diamonds are easily discerned. However, in a photograph, and I imagine at any distance at all, it looks like something out of the gumball machine.

Did I make myself clear? :)

9. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

"Did I make myself clear?"

Not really, Silverthwait. Could you elaborate just a bit more? There's no need to mince words. :)

Sorry, I simply could not resist. :shame:

10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

I can but try, Yourturn...

It reminded me of that appallingly gauche ring Dodi wanted to give to Diana. THAT would have put paid to his chances with her.

11. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

That watch is truly hideous -- my sentiments are the same as Silver's.

kyratango likes this.
  12. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Well, it probably cost a modest amount to actually make, got a splash of publicity, and after the show they can break it down and put the stones back in stock. And chuck the cheap quartz movement in the bin.

I do hope anyone who actually likes it is not feeling too shy to speak up?

Quoting the blurb
    " The company said a team of designers, gemologists and master craftsmen worked on this piece for thousands of hours to perfect the concept, which came directly from Laurence Graff, chairman of Graff Diamonds."

Oh, yes. Sure they did. Old rope, money for.

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Back in the '50s, when I was a kid, my walk to school took me past an exhibition hall. I can't remember what the show was at the time in question, but the big draw was a display of $1,000,000 in gold bullion, a very big deal back then. One day, on my way home from school, I decided to go in and see, a risky proposition as I was an unaccompanied child. I was greeted at the door by the beautious Miss Something-or-other, who seemed a nice enough grown-up to me. She took me and showed me the gold - a very small pile of yellow bricks. All-in-all it was a disappointment.

In the '70s (as I recall) Piaget produced a $1,000,000 wrist watch that was put on display in a downtown store. Having not learned my childhood lesson, I hied me hence to view this marvel. What I saw was a bracelet of graduated baguette diamonds with a watch in its center. Another disappointment.

One of the big draws at the Ontario Gallery of Art is a painting attributed to Reubens - The Massacre of the Innocents - which cost $80-90 million when purchased by the donor. Despite it's grisly subject matter, it is a wonderful thing. But I confess that when I went to see it, I couldn't get over the cost.

The value of the object is not intrinsic in its nature, it's intrinsic in the economics of the day.

LauraGarnet02 and kyratango like this.
  14. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

It looks like something the Chinese Ebay sellers would be peddling....

kyratango likes this.
  15. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I do believe that it is the Chinese market they are targeting with this bling...........I ship dozens of high end watches & jewelry to China on a weekly basis - and they never ask for reduced customs either!

16. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I gotta have a watch since I have grown up wearing one and I still look at my left wrist when I don't have one. The batteries last longer without need a charge, too. That is one ugly watch.

17. rro2000

rro2000 Active Member

Give me a Timex with a big face so I can see the numbers without my glasses and a light so I can see it at night. I've gone through a bunch of them. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted