Butte Brewery Co. (Montana) small vintage glass dish ...what to call this?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Picked this up at a sale because it looked vintage and was from a Brewery.

Can possibly date it slightly, from 1874-1943 Montana was abbreviated with "Mont." but could be that they just used an old logo and its a bit newer. It has just a little bit of a Deco look from the side but could be off about that. Glass is very thin, somewhat light, feels older.

What would you call this? I was thinking it was an ashtray at first, but no place for a cigarette really. Maybe a small candy dish?

Wasn't thinking this had huge value, but I did some searching on Ebay and one item jumped out at me, a Butte Brewery Co. pre-prohibition glass that sold for $1,400. Would be thrilled with a small fraction of that amount.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pre-Prohib...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Realize a pre-prohibition glass is not what I have at all, but want to be sure what is what. Approx 4" across. Would you call this an ashtray?

b1.jpg b5.jpg

i need help likes this.
  2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I go with ashtray...............trust me I have seen (and used) a lot of them designed like this - though I say that without really knowing how "light" it is or how thin the glass. Most glass ashtrays were at least of utilitarian weight, not "elegant" weight.

3. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

BTW - they have been in business since 1875 closed in the 1960s and is now reopen. Full history on their website.

i need help and Lucille.b like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

peanuts... what else to make a person drink more beer.

5. Lucille.b

It is a little more like what I would call an "elegant" weight. Thin. Not like a typical indestructible ashtray. But could be an older style.

I noticed they had re-opened. Hopefully someone in the new establishment will want an older piece like this.

Thanks!

i need help likes this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I came across this photo of a group of "breweriana" ashtrays and there appears to be one that is a similar shape. I'm on a work computer that won't allow me to access the site (icollector dot com) so try searching there with "Montana Beer Advertising Ashtray Collection". Hopefully, you'll find some info to go along with the photo!

buttebeer1.jpg

7. Lucille.b

That one on the middle/left looks a lot like it. Thanks! I'll go have a look at the site.

bluumz and i need help like this.
  8. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Doesn't stylistically appear to be pre-prohibition. I'd guesstimate 50's-60's.

bluumz, i need help and Lucille.b like this.
  9. Lucille.b

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted