Featured Buttons and a fetish...

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Jeff Drum, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

No, not a button fetish (though I suspect some here have that as well)!! An old sewing box full of buttons, with a few beads, hatpins, and what I assume is a fetish thrown in.

Is this indeed a fetish? Or is that not the right name, and if so what is it? Made of a carved black polished stone, about two inches long, with inset sterling silver arrow mouth and eye (other eye missing - may be in the button drawer?) I believe it is hand carved since not symmetrical and stone not plastic. No sign it was ever attached to a piece of jewelry, and I am assuming it is native american, but maybe not?

I assume the initials on one of the feet are original and not an owner. Looks like DTR (or maybe in the order DRT). What do I have? And if anyone knows buttons, is there anything else worth taking pictures of?
    PC193382.JPG PC193383.JPG PC193384.JPG PC193385.JPG PC193386.JPG PC193387.JPG PC193389.JPG

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Desert Rose Trading?

Pat Dennis, quirkygirl, judy and 5 others like this.
  3. i need help

Why don’t you post the fetish on Turquoise People?

judy, KSW, Jeff Drum and 3 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Maybe jet. A mountain lion with a silver heart line. Personally I try to reserve 'fetish' for items that are actually being used in that capacity & just use 'carvings' for pieces that are made for collectors & tourists, but 'fetish' is the commonly used shorthand & the right search term.

judy, Any Jewelry, Jeff Drum and 2 others like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the right side of the box has old tools.......:hungry:
    and the beads there require a close look...imo

judy, KSW, Jeff Drum and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jeff Drum

Gee, I hope not, that would be disappointing. They seem to have a different insignia, so hopefully not (see below). I did search through medicine man gallery sigs and didn't see it there.

I don't know and hate to ask what that is, but at least it would be better than posting on Fetish People (I hope). They don't seem that active, but worth posting?

A search for "jet fetish" brought up a fair number of Zuni pieces, so would that be the most likely source? (It also brought up pics of "Lady Vanessa", but I wouldn't recommend clicking on that one...)

judy, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  7. i need help

I think I see a Dreamcatcher.

judy, Jeff Drum and Bronwen like this.
  8. i need help

I’m a member there, I can post it for you if you want.

judy, Jeff Drum and KSW like this.
  9. Bronwen

Suggest you restrict your search to 'jet mountain lion fetish'. No telling what will be presented for your consideration if you're too general.

I think it is probably Zuni, but of course you can't make that claim without identifying the maker. Much to the Zunis' chagrin, the Navajo make ones that are similar. I have not seen this signature before, it has been a while since I was buying fetishes & new carvers come up. The silver disk on the paw is distinctive by itself, even without the initials.

judy, Jeff Drum, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  10. Bronwen

11. Jeff Drum

I’m pretty sure that is just the back of a fabric button, but I’ll check when I’m home. (I’m visiting my 93 year old dad at the moment. Downtime right now as he takes a nap after lunch).

Sure, thank you for the offer, that would be great!

judy likes this.
  12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Could your fetish be a skunk? The posture and tail over the back reminds me of a skunk. (I love skunks :happy:)

judy and i need help like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Skunks are beautiful. The tail over the back usually means mountain lion though. But I don't know if that was the intention of the maker.

singing and judy like this.
  14. i need help

Jeff Drum and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Jeff Drum

16. i need help

No just another Desert Rose guess. I PMed you the link.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted