Featured C.1904-1906 Baseball Photograph - Beloit Nationals (Wisconsin)

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by ScanticAntiques, Dec 28, 2015.

1. ScanticAntiques

ScanticAntiques Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone,

Purchased this photograph for my personal sports collection!

I was doing a bit of research and came across this article:

https://www.beloit.edu/archives/documents/archival_documents/heritage1986/

It mentions both some of the players, and the team name.

"September 30, 1986

Q1: Have you heard of a baseball team called The Beloit Nationals? Bob Moses, Eddie Gharrity and Jack Wootton played on that team and they were pretty good."

I may have to contact them to see if they have the "reply" to the question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Warmest Regards,
    Scantic IMG_8301.JPG IMG_8300.JPG

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Nice! I have friends who have a BB themed Pizza restaurant and they will love to see this. :)

ScanticAntiques likes this.
  3. ScanticAntiques

Awww That's a fantastic Theme for a restaurant! I absolutely love baseball and football and hockey lol I collect as much Victorian / Turn of the Century stuff as possible!

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

:) Perhaps I'll take some photos next time I go.

5. ScanticAntiques

That would be fantastic! Where is the restaurant located may I ask?

KingofThings likes this.
  6. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

"l will send things as I find them about your fun photo and the first thing I found is a 1912 article that states: "The Beloit Young Nationals, one of the fastest baseball teams in that city is after a few out of town games...This aggregation has been together for three years and are now ready to take on any team averaging 18 years. For games address Fred Wootton, 401 Milwaukee Avenue, Beloit."

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  7. morgen94

...and a 1958 obituary for Oscar N. Nelson, age 71 at death, "played baseball with the Beloit Nationals team." I see he is in your photo.

8. KingofThings

9. morgen94

I found an August 1908 article that referred to a game the Beloit Nationals played and a 1910 article reported: "James Burns, manager of the Beloit Nationals, an amateur baseball team of the Line City, is in the field for games in the season...The Nationals would like to meet teams ranging from 19-21 years of age."

10. ScanticAntiques

Darn! I was gonna say if it was near New England I'd have to stop in! :) haha Wonderful!

KingofThings likes this.
  11. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Great, HIGHLY collectable piece. All the equipment and such in front makes it a real stand out.

12. ScanticAntiques

Wow Thank you!! That's awesome!

13. ScanticAntiques

I thought it was a real nice one when I saw it. Had to have it! Didn't know anything about the team so just went with sorta the look! Pretty Large as well, Card Measuring 14" X 12" (inches)

14. KingofThings

The husband used to have a BB shop and knows a lot.

15. morgen94

From a 1912 article about an upcoming game between the Beloit Nationals and the Janesville WI team: "The Beloit team is the strongest nine in the Line City and has the advantage of a longer organization. They were easily the best team in the county last season and are out for the honors this year with W.(?)R. Williams manager and O.N. Nelson assistant manager. The team has secured Yost Park for their home games...The Nationals will have either F. Moon or Baukin in the box to start the game Sunday with Gray in the catcher's positions..."

16. morgen94

HERE is a 1915 article about Ed Gharrity. A 1948 article reported on a talk Gharrity was giving: "Ed Gharrity, Beloit, top notch major league catcher with the Washington Senators, who played during the hey-days of Walter Johnson, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Rube Waddell, Tris Speaker, Ty Cobb, and other players now enshrined in the hall of fame, addressed the joint meeting of the three Junior Optimist baseball clubs..."

I don't believe I saw articles about the Beloit Nationals after about 1914. The articles I did find, though, reported countless wins; they were quite a good team, I gather.

17. ScanticAntiques

Maybe I'll contact the Hall Of Fame. I tried looking for photographs of "Patsy" Ed Gharrity, but the majority of the ones I found were from the late 1920's.

If it is him, this photo is probably more 1910-1911 (which would put him between 18 & 19.

18. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

Awesome photo!

KingofThings likes this.
  19. KingofThings

Besides fun little children BB player statues, banks, clocks and such things, they needed some more photos especially something USNavy because it's a Navy town and the hubby was Navy, as I was, and my youngest son.
    I found a copy of the BB team posing on board the USS Maine a week or so before she blew up in Havana Harbor. :(
    I got a copy of the USS Washington team also posing aboard that ship. 1919 I think.
    Since I'm from Jersey City, NJ I got them a large photo of Roosevelt Stadium taken from the air. RS was the place Jackie Robinson played his first 'professional' game.
    I just finished extending the front decor 16' into the back and added 16' of high shelving for 'stuff'. :) (See photo...yes...real BBs I sliced halfway into and mounted to the brackets.) :) (There are various methods in play to hold them until the silicone dried.)
    I've given them dozens of BB books and soon there will be a long rack for those for people to peruse while eating.
    ~
    FullSizeRender(37).jpg

20. ScanticAntiques

Wow this is absolutely Fantastic! I love the baseballs! They add a great Lockeroom quality feel!

Draft saved Draft deleted