C.P. Hervey Coin Silver spoon. Has anyone come across this maker?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by J Dagger, Jul 30, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Just bought what I assume and hope is a coin silver spoon for about the melt price of the silver. It’s marked C.P. Hervey. I can’t find his name anywhere in about 20-30 mins of googling. I did find a reference to CP standing for Cape Province on silver so that’s a possibility. Hoping my lack of ability to track down this silversmith means it could be a rare/valuable spoon. More than likely it just means my research ability is lacking though lol. Anyone know this maker or have the ability to track it down? I’m probably going to buy the Flynt & Fales book to have on hand. Thanks

Edit for spelling

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

4. KikoBlueEyes

5. J Dagger

6. J Dagger

This is the spoon I just bought. Outside of this eBay listing I can’t find it. There’s mention of the name in an old eBay listing but when you google search but when you click it you don’t actually get a CP Hervey spoon.

M

7. KikoBlueEyes

:D:D:D:D:D:D Still a mystery then.

8. J Dagger

Si si :)

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

J Dagger and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Usually uncommon means not sought after rather than 'rare'. Most coin silver is selling under scrap these days.

May be the mark of a general store rather than a maker too.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

judy, SBSVC, i need help and 3 others like this.
  12. J Dagger

Certainly could be the retailer. I don't see it go much under melt super often and will usually buy it when I do. Some common stuff definitely seems to go at a small to nonexistent premium. I see plenty go for well over though. I'll agree that if you are going to find silver under melt it's a good area to look in vs others.

I would agree about the uncommon thing too but when it comes to early to mid 19th century coin silver in my limited experience it's more rare/valuable.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  13. J Dagger

That's awesome thanks! I'll follow that lead some more. My family has roots in Maine so this would be a pleasant surprise if it turns out to be connected.

Edit: spelling

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  14. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

My best guess is that it's the C Hervey that Bakers found, who would have been the retailer:

Calvin Hervey, a watch maker and jewelry store owner in Bangor, then Camden, then Belfast, Maine.

While the "P" doesn't show in anything I've found so far, his mother's maiden name was Plummer, and that MAY (my guess only) have been his middle name.

https://mainestatemuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Maine-Silver-Watches-and-Jewelry.pdf
    Hervey, Calvin: JLR, GS, WM & CLKM; JLY, W & Fancy Goods, Bangor, 1834-ca. 1838; Camden, ca. 1838-1842; Belfast, ca. 1842-1896

Total conjecture:
    What if he changed his mark after one of his moves?
    img0 (37).jpg
    img0 (38).jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    J Dagger and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  15. Bakersgma

I think you read the site info wrong, SBSVC. Plummer was Calvin's wife's maiden name, not his mother. In fact there's no mention of his mother there.

J Dagger likes this.
  16. Bakersgma

In case anyone cares, Calvin Hervey's mother's maiden name was Jane Campbell.

J Dagger, SBSVC and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  17. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Well, darn! There goes that theory...

J Dagger likes this.
  18. J Dagger

I would say that changing his mark after a move is a definite possibility

19. J Dagger

Looks like he had two other sons who were jewelers or watchmakers. They were called Morris and John. It’s likely/possible he worked with another silversmith in the area named Edward Baker from 1845-1850.

Maybe one of the sons had a son who also worked in silver?

20. Bakersgma

It's Maurice, Morris. And both he and John apparently never married and died without issue. Maurice in the late 1890's in Seattle (where he was a carpet merchant) and John at age 21 (1882) in Belfast. So that would be an interesting idea, but it doesn't work.