Featured CA advertising piece, do I call this "die cut?"

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Lucille.b, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Kind of a cool older CA advertising piece. It was .99, I saw the damage but had to get it. Hoping someone may be interested since it has a San Jose, CA address.

Would I call this "die cut?" "Germany" and some numbers impressed on the back.

pap3.jpg

pap3b.jpg

pap4.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's die cut. Unusual to see an advertising piece that uses religious imagery.

Debora

3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Die cut and embossed. Also looks like it may have had a small calendar stapled at the bottom.

CheersDears, NewEngland, judy and 5 others like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I think the part with the address was supposed to hook in and stick out a bit. Removable in any case, so the back religious section could be used for different businesses and they would just need to reprint that insert piece. I'm not going to mess with that section because things will start tearing, but it looks like it was never inserted.

I just made out the word "Western" before Germany (the stamp was printed backwards) so 1949 or later, but I think has some age with the phone numbers that way.

We'll see if it sells or not. It's going to need the correct buyer, someone okay with a bit of damage.

judy, Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Strange but I like more how the image looks on the reverse

Looks so much more powerful and intimate

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Telephone exchanges were replaced by all-number calling in 1958 in California.

Debora

Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Reverse beauty
    pap3f.jpg pap3bg.jpg

judy and KSW like this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

certainly appealed to the customers of Fratelli Pieracci. Italians love such stuff in christmas season. or as useful seasons greetings.
    not unusual that it was cheaper to produce it in Germany and ship it worldwide in those years to local distributors.

Lucille.b, judy and KSW like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Especially for live and dressed poultry.:hilarious:

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  10. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

We have an egg wholesaler that has Religious quotes stamped into the egg cartons.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

N. 15th and Commercial look nothing like it looked back then I am sure . San Jose had many Italian folks in many business ventures not excluding the West Coast "Mob" that had ties to a well known restaurant, Cheese distributor, and Car dealership, well in to the early 70's . Murder , mayhem , extortion and back stabbing through being an FBI informant were rampant. Al Capone's sister lived in Santa Cruz and Joe DiMaggio would visit Santa Cruz and have dinner in San Jose .... ah, the good old days !

Fid and Figtree3 like this.
  12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

whose eggs then ? the Pope's ?

Vintage Maven and Potteryplease like this.
  13. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

@Fid Hmmmm….12 eggs, 12 apostles…I guess the morning scrambler omelette holy dozen, sinfully & decadently delicious! All kidding aside, I do agree with @charlie cheswick about the reverse view….interesting. ❤️Maven

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

what's a morning scrambler omelette ???
    12 eggs is a hefty morning glory...

15. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

I guess the breakfast reference has gone by without chance of redemption lol………and yes, 12 eggs is hefty, I couldn’t eat that with my tiny frame lol ❤️Maven

Draft saved Draft deleted