Featured Cabinet age

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by FWIW, Oct 17, 2019.

1. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

I bought this cabinet recently for resell. My guess was it factory made early 20th century or late 19th at the earliest. The person I bought it from thought it was earlier and maybe not factory.

I bought it, probably paying a little too much just because I loved the style, and told him I would double check.

Any input greatly appreciated as always.

DSCN0042.JPG DSCN0043.JPG DSCN0044.JPG DSCN0045.JPG DSCN0046.JPG DSCN0050.JPG DSCN0052.JPG DSCN0053.JPG DSCN0054.JPG

2. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

Also if I am wrong (which is usually the case lol) would love a little explanation on what I missed for my own learning if you have the time.

Thanks!

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd say circa 1910 china cabinet. Brad might know better. It was part of a dining room set. Around here these don't sell, but in other parts of the country you may fare better.

4. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

That was about the date I was thinking. somewhere around early 1900s.

Thanks!

5. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE IT !!! ... Joy. :):):)

yourturntoloveit and scoutshouse like this.
  6. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

Me to!

Usually I wouldnt buy a small china cabinet like this because they arent hot sellers, but the styling on this one was appealing to me so I bought it to look at a bit until I sell it :D

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I would think more 20s but suppose it could be as early as the teens. Walnut veneer with non-descript hardwoods stained to match. This would be a hard sell here in the Midwest unless painted.

Joe2007 likes this.
  8. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

It does have that 20's feel to it. Would be hard to sell for much where I am either, unless painted and perish the thought, distressed in some manner.

Joe2007 likes this.
  9. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I'm not sure if buying brown furniture for short-term resale is a winning proposition these days for most resellers. Watching the furniture market for the past several years at auction I though prices couldn't possibly go any lower and I've been proven wrong --- in Southern, Ohio we must be at another low for antique furniture (that is not exceptional).

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It does seem to be even worse than before. Can't give away some pieces and, unfortunately, many have succumbed to paint to make them saleable. This was a gorgeous mahogany buffet just a week ago. Sat in our shop over 2 months priced as low as $75.00. The consignor did not retrieve it and it was sold to another of our dealers for even less. Now priced $220.00 and I expect it will sell quickly.

[​IMG]

James Conrad and Lucille.b like this.
  11. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Well, not my taste but, OTOH, give the buyers what they want & they will BUY!
    Hey, this ain't rocket science.........:cigar:

Jivvy likes this.
  12. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I am going to disagree here! :p At least now it has a CHANCE! to find a new home and live another day. The way it was, just sitting there in the way, it's chances of a rendezvous with the dump were growing. Paint can always be removed....
    Saleable = Survivable :singing:

Jivvy likes this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It was a factory made piece, so paint isn't a crime and it actually looks rather good. A bad paint job would have been criminal.

James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted