Cabinet card likeness - opinions please!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Batman_2000, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

I'd appreciate your opinions... I recently acquired a bunch of cabinet cards, which included some theatre related ones. Some are named, but the two below are not (nothing on reverse). So, I took a punt on a wild google search that I don't remember, but it involved a combination of Newport (Wales), Lyceum (victorian theatre in Newport) and Musketeers (based on the costume in the second photo) and somehow came across H A Sainsbury: actor 2.jpg
    actor 1.jpg

Photo of H A Saintsbury from The Sketch, 11 July 1900:
    The Sketch 11 July 1900.png

Obviously the hair's different but I found a few other images where Saintsbury's hair is bordering on curly.

I also found a newspaper review of Saintsbury acting in "The Three Musketeers" at Newport Lyceum in 1899.

But maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, since Saintsbury is quite a famous Victorian actor (he apparently mentored Charlie Chaplin) - more about him here.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm not sure about the photo being in costume for "The Three Musketeers." He seems to be holding a riding crop and whip, and the hat is not as large as I've usually seen worn in costumes for that story.

That being said, I think your photos do resemble Saintsbury enough to make further investigation important.

KingofThings and Batman_2000 like this.
  3. Figtree3

4. Figtree3

Ah -- this is from 1902, and said that J. Williams registered the business for a variety of things, including photography:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=krcaAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA208&lpg=PA208&dq="j.+williams"+"tredegar+place"+newport&source=bl&ots=77gQBV-KwO&sig=w-cFg_TrCDacb352jFu-ODc2xaU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiOlqHTqo3SAhVKw4MKHX1nBlEQ6AEIIzAD#v=onepage&q="j. williams" "tredegar place" newport&f=false

If this is the original registration then I think your photo would date from about that time. That means that if yours is Saintsbury he should strongly resemble the photo you found from 1900. And so now I'm not sure.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

The nose in all 3 photos looks 'dead on'......but that's all I've got.....

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  6. Batman_2000

Thank you, Fig! You made me think to go back and look more carefully for the photographer (J Williams). I found him advertising for a 'gilder' to work at 1 Tredegar Place in 1897 - seems to be mostly a framing/fine art business. No mention of photography at time, which fits with your findings. I'll keep looking.

I don't know why 'musketeer' came to mind now that I look again at the outfit :D

Aquitaine, I think it's a good likeness too, and if it isn't the same person then he's definitely a doppleganger!

KingofThings and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Figtree3

I thought of Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice... Maybe not actually him, but maybe the character was supposed to be from late 18th or early 19th century? I'm not that well versed on the history of men's clothing, though.

Batman_2000 and KingofThings like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think you have a strong case.

Comparison of the eyes. Picture 1, 2, and 3 in order. Notice the brows have the same shape, the eye to the right has the same fold in the corner. The eye on the right appears a little smaller and almond shape, while the eye on the left appears a little larger and more rounded.

upload_2017-2-13_8-16-14.png upload_2017-2-13_8-17-2.png upload_2017-2-13_8-17-30.png

Figtree3 and Batman_2000 like this.
  9. Batman_2000

Thanks for doing that - they are very similar side-by-side. Make up and lighting can cause some differences/similarities though. I need to find more photos...

This is a great place for Welsh newspapers (and it's free!): http://newspapers.library.wales

I'm going to look for theatre productions taking place in the Newport area in the 1890s. My guess is hundreds... and Newport is not too far from Cardiff. You might be right about Mr Darcy, Fig. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Clothing definitely from the Regency period - that redingcoate is a dead giveaway............which is what I hope his wife did when he was...............

Draft saved Draft deleted