Featured Cabinet Cards

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by ScanticAntiques, Jan 3, 2016.

1. ScanticAntiques

ScanticAntiques Well-Known Member

Hello,

Purchased These Todays.

One Team looks to be the 1878 Boston Red Caps.

Was wondering if anyone has seen these before?

Thanks in advance! IMG_8560.JPG IMG_8561.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Very "punny." ;)

They look like "cartoons" from the sports pages of some newspaper? All 4 sections are "signed" by Cristo Buffalo. I would assume he was employed for this purpose by some Buffalo newspaper.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No, but think you scored. Old baseball always sells easily, and Boston ball fans can be rabid.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. ScanticAntiques

Haha the only problem is I'm a BASEBALL FAN!! And I absolutely Love Victorian Baseball lol So now the question is.... can I let them go... I don't know that I can lol

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

6. ScanticAntiques

KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

From the photos, it looks like the cartoons are pasted on a backing paper and then the backing paper pasted on what looks like a cabinet card?

If that's the case, then the cartoons and the first backing paper may have been cut from a Victorian scrapbook.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. ScanticAntiques

I think the artist most likely took the drawings and had photos taken of them to preserve them without having to necessarily keep them. The cabinet card board is C.1870's - Early 1880's. My guess an antique method of preserving his work in smaller format?

KingofThings likes this.
  9. ScanticAntiques

If you look at the edge of the drawings you can see where the paper is not stuck down to w.e is behind them. Leaves shadows as the drawings are not flat.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Ah, so they're photos of paper glued to paper, rather the layers themselves? Interesting...

KingofThings likes this.
  11. ScanticAntiques

I think it's just photos of the original art. And I don't think the art is glued down. If you look at the left side, you can see the shadows of the thick paper where it's wavy and not perfectly flat.

KingofThings and Figtree3 like this.
  12. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

These are really cool -- I agree with Skeezix, to check with an auction house or an appraiser of baseball memorabilia. Then, depending on what they say, decide whether you want to keep them or not.

KingofThings and ScanticAntiques like this.
  14. ScanticAntiques

KingofThings likes this.
  15. ScanticAntiques

I def will. It would be good to see if they have value, because I can't seem to find any of them anywhere else.

KingofThings likes this.
  16. Figtree3

The link that Bakersgma posted indicates that many are in the possession of relatives, and that he may have done the cartoons only in 1877.

And it looks like the article she linked was originally published in 1981.

17. ScanticAntiques

I couldn't even imagine owning the originals! Wow

KingofThings likes this.
  18. Figtree3

And they were posted in a store window rather than being published anywhere... so I imagine it's possible that none of them left the possession of the family. Or, some might have been destroyed. Since that article was published in 1981, I now wonder whether family members still have those 34 originals?

KingofThings and ScanticAntiques like this.
  19. ScanticAntiques

I would like to own them lol

KingofThings, Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  20. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Best of luck with these.

I have a hunch, just an 'ol antiquer's itch, that these may be one of the best things to cross these boards so far. They strike me as possibly being....important.

Just a hunch, it's really way out of my roundhouse.

If you don't mind, how much were they?

Heritage, the best ;).

Draft saved Draft deleted