Featured Cabinet Help

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by abcmichelle, Jul 14, 2018.

1. abcmichelle

abcmichelle New Member

d63518f0-77bf-4ce7-a1fb-4544ef5b7794.jpg 9e289cc2-deb7-4fc8-8e98-820622060a7e.jpg 25facef8-d440-45dc-a0da-6a1ee064efa2.jpg Hello,
    I recently was gifted this cabinet piece, and I'm interested in its origin. Does anyone have any knowledge on where/when it might be from? 3cb2840c-554e-4c96-9240-50022a0f504b.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Very nice, i really like that butterfly hardware if it is hardware on door center. I'd guess european, I'll guess scandinavian. Where are you & where did person who gifted say it was from?

cxgirl likes this.
  3. abcmichelle

abcmichelle New Member

They bought it off their previous house owner and they're not really sure. I got their invoice list of the stuff they bought from the estate and it doesn't seem to be on it. I thought it was the "french lacquered amour w original chinoiserie decoration" and it said 19th century but I'm not sure if that sounds quite right

cxgirl and judy like this.
  4. James Conrad

It could very well be French & 19th century sounds right.

judy likes this.
  5. abcmichelle

abcmichelle New Member

it seems like it but the chinoiserie doesn't sound right

Fid and James Conrad like this.
  6. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

cxgirl, James Conrad and judy like this.
  7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I doubt Scandinavian.

The butterfly caused me to think Asian too.

anundverkaufen and James Conrad like this.
  8. James Conrad

The bottom rail looks to have an oriental element & the orange lacquered finish as well.

judy and komokwa like this.
  9. James Conrad

Yes, i see that now, it isn't american i don't think & does appear to have some age.

judy likes this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It looks a lot like the Chinese import furniture that is fairly common.

It may be listed as:

"french lacquered amour w original chinoiserie decoration" and it said 19th century

but I highly doubt it.

Fid, judy and James Conrad like this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    judy, James Conrad and i need help like this.
  12. James Conrad

I am goin with Cluttered & Anundverkaufen on this one! still, an attractive cabinet i think and looks like it has some age but that age could be "applied".

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    judy likes this.
  13. James Conrad

I don't know why but many are very skittish about their location in the world, when trying to ID furniture, particularity old furniture, it's a vital piece of info

Rufus@frockstarvintage and judy like this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

folks are just private.......but a lot of east coast furniture made it's way west....so where it is now may...sometimes ...be not as important as what it looks like...:happy:

judy likes this.
  15. James Conrad

Yeah, i get that but most do not use their real name & with over 300 million in USA for instance & millions in most european countries, i do not see a privacy issue here in ID of country where furniture was found.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  16. James Conrad

Well, i'd say most furniture stays local, not all of course but it is an important clue i would argue.

17. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I`ll give you a clue without revealing too much.
    Its a US State to the far west of your State, if you go any farther you end up in the Pacific. :cool:

18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

My first thought was Chinese import.

19. James Conrad

LOL, oh Lord! dead funny Davey!
    I understand the privacy thing but to hide the identity of your country is a bit silly in my view especially when posters are anonymous in every other way except to admins. I noticed AJ the other day asked a poster the very same question which poster avoided answering, SILLY i say.

judy and daveydempsey like this.
  20. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi abc.It is probably Chinese and appears to be made of Elm wood which is quite a popular lightweight furniture timber. Hard to guess its origin but probably mainland China or Hong Kong. This would depend on family travels or work and any other connection with a particular region in Asia. There are thousands of new and recent versions of this Wedding Cabinet, but this one looks like it has some age based on the wear near the drawers and the doors. Based on what I can see I would estimate the latter part of the Qing dynasty so early 1900's or perhaps Republic period as recent as 1949. However, the Chinese are master craftspeople when it comes to aging furniture, so it is often hard to tell. The finish is called red lacquer, which is also very common and popular. This appears to me to be a "functional" piece of furniture, as opposed to high quality decorative or top end manufacture. However, it looks solid, well made and was probably a prized possession in the household. Also, it doesn't look split or twisted or warped, so well looked after apart from usual wear and tear. It would have been factory made but by hand.
    The simple butterfly door plate is gorgeous and certainly adds to the cabinet. I haven't seen one this ornate before. Is there a place for a key to slide through to lock the doors? I can't see the necessary opposite holes.
    You haven't given any dimensions (always helpful when seeking opinions) but I would guess about 1700 x 1200 as opposed to a smaller bedside table. The two inner drawers are typical of this design, and originally it would have been the main "wardrobe" and probably the only piece of furniture in the bedroom, apart from the bed.
    I would expect to find only woodworking joints such as mortise and tenon, dovetail or butt joints and there should not be any nailed or screwed parts.
    I am fascinated by the metal plate near the bottom two drawers, can you tell what that was used for? Some more pics would help.
    In Australia, these pieces are now selling for just a few hundred dollars, but that could be different in other countries. You will find lots of reference images on google under "Chinese wedding cabinet".
    I love these cabinets (I have 2 smaller ones) and hope you find a really good use for it. Enjoy

judy, cxgirl and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted