Cadillac brand vintage virgin wool dress --what is this loop for?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Lucille.b, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

A friend does occasional work for a wealthy 80 year old woman, occasionally gets gifts of old garments this woman is clearing out.

Here is one vintage piece my friend didn't want. Thinking it probably isn't a great resale item, but I got it free and thought I would just list on Ebay and see what happens. Has a great "modern" looking design, a tiny bit Mondrian maybe?

It is "Cadillac" brand, hand fashioned in Italy according to the label.

A few questions. Year? 1960s? 2/3 or 3/4 sleeves, falls around knee length plus or minus.

Also there is a tiny loop underneath one armpit sew in as if a belt or something would have gone through, but that makes no sense because of the location. See 2nd photo. What would that have been for?

Thanks for taking a look.

cad1.jpg cad8.jpg

cad1r.jpg

bluumz likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1960s. Italian knits were all the rage. For the mature woman.

Debora

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would you post a clear photograph of the labels?

Debora

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Nevermind. Saw on internet. Second location is Venice. This version a bit smarter.

Debora

il_794xN.1893516633_8f51.jpg

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That was a 60s Ladies who Lunch style, missing its matching belt. Maybe a hat too. That's OK; no one wants the hats anyway. It's actually a pretty cool dress. No idea if it's worth money, but it's worth more than you paid!

pearlsnblume, Lucille.b and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think the loop under the arm was used to keep the belt with the dress while on the rack, but you were meant to snip it off when you got it home.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree with above.

Debora

pearlsnblume, Lucille.b and Bronwen like this.
  8. Lucille.b

All questions answered. Thank you, everyone! :)

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  9. Lucille.b

Here is the rest of the tag if curious. I decided to leave the drycleaner's tag on which made photographing difficult...

cad1t.jpg

Already listed, but we'll see.

Houseful and Bronwen like this.
  10. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

I agree!

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted