Calder Balloons Print

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Feb 10, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

No signatures or other markings. The paper size is about 9 1/2" x 12 1/8". I really hope it was not bigger and someone trimmed it to fit the frame.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Oh yes they did.
    Not worth anything now...IMHO...

Alexander Calder
    [​IMG]
    Balloons
    Alexander Calder
    [​IMG]
    Limited Edition Print - $3,900.00
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I saw this one but there are others offered at much lower price. I could not know if mine was hand signed. I guess there are a lot of repros.
    The left edge on mine looks like sloppy trimmed but the other ones are very smooth so not sure if they were cut.

4. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

It is very suspicious that all of the "signed" Balloon prints on various websites bear either an artists' proof or epreuve d'artiste mark rather than any "regular" edition numbers. I would not be surprised if this image is an original open edition lithograph from a publication similar to Derriere Le Miroir and the signatures are faked.

5. komokwa

I'm sure !

6. komokwa

Even an artist proof would have an edition size , unless it was the only one , & then....there would be only one , ....like a printers proof.

7. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

It is actually fairly uncommon to see a numbered a/p (i.e. a/p #1/4, etc.). They do exist of course but the standard is simply "a/p", e/a. etc. On a proper certificate of authenticity issued by the publisher one would generally see the full breakdown of the print run along the lines of "regular edition of 250 numbered in Arabic numerals on Japon paper, deluxe edition of 100 on Arches, 10 artists proofs, 5 printers proofs, 3 hors commerce" etc.

8. komokwa

In my line of work, numbered AP's are more common, and for a time were even being abused to increase the value ( perceived..) of an artists limited edition.

Draft saved Draft deleted