calling all Fenton fans

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by quirkygirl, Dec 4, 2015.

1. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

I think I accidentally bought a Fenton vase :) ... really ... I was hoping for Northwood ... but this is OK.

I cannot find ANY other examples of this out in the interwebs - currently for sale or even any sold.
    Have I ID'd it correctly as a diamond point and columns in blue opalescent by Fenton or is it something else? It is about 11 1/2" tall with an almost 3 1/2" base.

It unfortunately has an odd mark on the bottom edge of the base ... as if a tiny square chunk was taken out and reattached. I see no glue residue under UV light ... but I don't know if I would???

I know no-one wants to guess at the value ... but I'm kinda out in the weeds here with nothing to go by ..... plus, I don't know how much that little whatever-it-is on the base affects this unknown value.

Help? Anyone? Please?

P1080506.JPG
    the rayed design on base
    P1080509.JPG

the "chunk" thing
    P1080513.JPG
    view from top side of base
    P1080512.JPG

Thanks for looking! :)

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Pretty!

quirkygirl likes this.
  3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

correct, it is Fenton's Diamond Point Columns swung vase c1908. the defect looks like a shallow flake and maybe a tiny check which are possibly from the manufacturing process where the base was clamped to allow for reheating and swinging the reheated glass.

4. quirkygirl

Thank you, TallCakes! So it's a true "antique" ... but ... why none shown for sale (or sold)? I will refrain from using the "r" word ... but is this style/color combo that scarce?

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  5. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Fenton made lots of blue opalescent glass so probably not too rare but not one that show up everyday on eBay either...

quirkygirl likes this.
  6. quirkygirl

Thanks again, TC :)

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Before I knew better, years ago, I used to refer to the color as Michigan Mint. It was the same color as a candy I used to get. Every time I see that shade of blue it reminds me of the candy.
    greg

quirkygirl likes this.
  8. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

I found some (sold) on eblech. Sold prices are all over the place; anywhere from $9 to $90. It is very pretty, I haven't seen one before! I like the combination of the pressed diamonds and the free form swung part.

quirkygirl likes this.
  9. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

I think the defect is a shallow bubble which has broken.

quirkygirl likes this.
  10. quirkygirl

It could be that.
    It is a strange little mark.

Draft saved Draft deleted