Calling all stein experts #1

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Miscstuff, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Got this 0.5L Mettlach stein in superb condition recently and have a couple of questions. This is model 1695 and is known as “the hunters” and usually has a ceramic inlaid lid but mine doesn’t. I read somewhere that the inlaid lid cost more than the rest of the stein so I’m wondering if Mettlach made a cheaper version with a plain pewter lid. I know they mix and matched their lids a lot. Also my lid is a little skewed when looking towards the handle. So first question… have I got an original “cheaper” lid? Second question relates to the date of manufacture. The number 89 and 10 appear on the incised bottom so it is either 1889 or 1910. Any ideas which?

Data

26.7cm High 10.4cm round 1.1Kg

Cheers

1s.jpg 5s.jpg 6s.jpg 9s.jpg 11s.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Bronwen and Miscstuff like this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

How would you know if a lid was original or a replacement? And in what kind of store would you be able to choose the lid individually? I mean, it sounds good in theory, but how would that work? You see I'm not out of the "woulds" yet.

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Looks like the customer ordered them the way they wanted.
    cited from
    https://www.beerstein.net/articles/bsb-a.htm
    A Mettlach stein could almost always have been originally ordered with either a plain or a fancy pewter lid, a lid with a ceramic insert, or no lid.

Fid likes this.
  5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that. It's not clear whether the customer is an individual or a retailer, but maybe I don't need to know.

Draft saved Draft deleted