Calling all tile Xspurts..

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Miscstuff, May 21, 2020.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

These two tiles were in my nineteenth century shelf lot and I thought I'd better check with the xspurts before eebooing it. What do you think? 1890s? 1930s? French? No marks that I can see to give me clues.
    Data 15.4cm(6") Square, 1.02cm(0.4") thick
    a.jpg b.jpg c.jpg d.jpg

Aquitaine likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'd go with late 1800s.
    Why do you think French?
    I would have thought English. But I really don't know. Just my first reaction.

If you sell on ebay, I would list separately.
    There are tile collectors.

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Aesthetic movt. English for sure.

4. Miscstuff

Thanks for the advice. She looked kinda French to me.:D
    face.jpg

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Some slight resemblance... Maybe the hat?
    les Mis.png

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Miscstuff, can you get a better, SHARP image of the back of JUST the LESS burned tile ON THE BACK.....it looks like there is writing there in the middle.....hard to see and small.....slightly visible (I think) at the end of the arrow in my inverted image... Of course I've been know to be all wet on occasion too....but....worth a try....

c-2 TILES-gigapixel-scale-2_00x.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that's a he & ringing some Raphael bells for me.

8. clutteredcloset49

9. Miscstuff

Just a bunch of chicken scratches but there is a protruding dot at the bottom left rear corner of both of them. Might be for orientation.
    marks.jpg

Darkwing Manor and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Miscstuff

Could be right. The image is a little either way.:wideyed:

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  11. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Absolutely aesthetic with that sunflower and looks BRITISH to me. I dunno who the guy is — some Renaissance dude like Dante or maybe from the romance tales like Tristan and Isolde. My brain is kinda mushy these covid days...

12. Aquitaine

@Miscstuff I've tried ONE more enhancement.....I wasn't talking where you were talking....you can see the edge of the red arrow point in the image below....BUT BELOW that there IS LETTERING &/or numbers, that is hard to see, BUT IT'S THERE....I WISH I knew a way to bring it out better!!!! IN Between the two horizontal lines I drew.....

LEFT TILE WRITING-gigapixel-scale-2_00x.jpg

13. Miscstuff

Nice try @Aquitaine but I had a close look and it is only random marks that look like letters. The only unusual thing is that dot.:(

Aquitaine likes this.
  14. Aquitaine

OK then....we at least tried!!!

Miscstuff and Fid like this.
  15. clutteredcloset49

upload_2020-5-22_8-38-47.png

I think the two things circled on the waffle back are what will point to the maker.
    Minton seems to be signed with letters in each square.

Wonder if @say_it_slowly has any tile references.
    or @janetpjohn

Miscstuff likes this.
  16. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  17. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Here is as close as I can get based on the photo from that listing. That type of diamond registration was used 1868-1883. I can't make out the year but the date is January 13 and Parcel 4.

Using J.P. Cushion's book of British Ceramic Marks, I looked at the registrations filed Parcel 4 on January 13 of each year 68-83. There were only two that matched. Assuming that his list is fairly complete I came up with:

Jan 13 1873 Parcel 4 Patent 269621, W.T. Copeland & Son, Stoke
    Jan 13 1882 Parcel 4 Patent 375815-6, The Decorative Art Tile Co 379, Hanley

Here is an online source for the registration numbers.
    http://www.photane.com/reference/ukdiamondregistrations.html

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    clutteredcloset49 and Miscstuff like this.
  18. Ision

Ision Member

Since I owned one of the colored tiles displayed in this thread, I think I can be of service.

The monochrome tiles pictured by the thread starter are almost certainly created by
    "The Decorative Art Tile Company," of England, and its design was first copyrighted by them in 1882. Since this particular tile company did not make their own tile biscuits for most of their existence, they placed their tile designs upon tile blanks purchased from other, larger, ceramic manufacturers...such as T & R Boote.

The Diamond registration stamp for this design would have been an "L", placed at the stamp's right angle. The tile's pattern number is #22. The IV at the top of the stamp indicates CLAY WARE, as the class.

The color tinted versions are rare, compared to the monochrome, and are worth considerably more. Please note the symbology within this tile's design, look at the pot designs, for example.

My experience tells me, the original monochrome tiles, were placed on T & R Boote biscuits and made a few years after 1882, when the 3 year patent period had expired...judging by the date of the grip design. After a patent expired, the maker would not mark their tiles to betray its design could now be copied....to create doubt.

I am an expert on American, English, and Continental, antique tiles. You shall often find images of my tiles all over the internet, and especially in Belgian publications.

Hope this helps.

say_it_slowly and Miscstuff like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted