Featured Calling TallCakes!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Marie Forjan, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi @TallCakes I have a cake plate and have a question, I was hoping you can help me :)

I think it is Sprig by Bryce, Higbee & Co., c.1883, I am attaching some photos.
    - Of the whole cake plate
    - Of the area where the plate is attached to the stem
    - Of the attachment looking down from the top

In the photo showing the side of the stem it looks like where the plate meets the stem it is off center. Could that have happened when it was made?

In the close up photo looking down from the top there looks like there is a shape that could possibly be glue, I pointed it out in red. Do you think maybe it came apart and someone glued the top back on to the base and that's why it's off center?

Thank you, and anyone else that has any thoughts, for replying!

CakePlate.jpg Attachment.jpg MaybeGlueMarked.jpg

2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

had to search to locate my example of Sprig (OMN: Rival) and it also has a similar appearance looking down on the plate thru the wafer that was used to adhere the plate to the pedestal. The plateau and stem were joined with a glass wafer, which can sometimes result in a bit of air being entrapped. It's not unusual to see slight center variances as well as slight tilting sometimes. You can see similarities in the cake stand images at EAPGS.org

*crs*, moreotherstuff, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Thank you, Marie, and Tall, for giving us just about all there is to know about the Sprig/Rival pattern and this particular piece. Only thing not touched is value and that is too variable as to condition and locataion to be meaningful.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Thanks so much TallCakes! I was at a house call and thought someone I know may want it so they let me take it home to photograph it. I'm glad they did, it was filthy :(

Now it's clean and I sent the photos on to my friend. She is a well respected EAPG dealer here on Cape Cod, unfortunately she has been in Maryland since the virus started. So when I see things I think she may like I try and get a photo to her. If she wants it she will tell me what to offer, then I will buy it for her and hold it until she can come back up :)

bercrystal and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted