Featured Cameo era?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ashley Felton, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Ashley Felton

Ashley Felton Well-Known Member

Can anyone help me with the time frame of this one? Should have just made it addressed to Bronwen! She is the best! No marked but it’s sterling
    9ED3EDF5-8675-495A-9D87-71623BB5207B.jpeg 30342360-91F6-4A63-B175-ABA6DAFC86B7.jpeg B03802DC-83A1-446C-9D6B-119A65B1C773.jpeg

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I don't mean to step on Bronwen's turf - but it looks like an Art Deco version of Athena.

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Yes, definitely Athena/Minerva. Not sure whether engraver of the MOP was under the stylistic influence of art deco or just avoiding having to cut curved lines, giving her that angular look.

My first reaction was 1950s, but the care with which she has been framed - the bezel had to be custom made to follow the curve of the shell - makes me think earlier, 1930s, maybe. Having that twisted wire (probably gold filled) trim also suggests an earlier period. Later on it would have been left in the silver alone. Nice, solid piece. :)

Figtree3, bluumz and 2manybooks like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

JMHO, but it looks more like abalone than MOP, but I could be wrong :)

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Do you not regard the nacreous lining of abalone shells as MOP? I use MOP for any kind of nacre, & then qualify it as MOP from abalone or paua , or MOP from oyster or clam (if I know).

In this case, I see the colorful iridescence that suggests abalone. However, I think the white nacreous layer below the figure rules it out. Pardon the less than sharp photo, struggling with a new camera, but I think this mid-20th cameo is the same material:

upload_2020-8-17_20-0-55.png

And I think it is some species of clam. Can't recall ever seeing a cameo that was clearly abalone. You could maybe engrave on it, the way they do on oyster shell. Suspect the structure does not lend itself to the cameo form. (BTW - the cameos sometimes listed as 'oyster shell' are not.)

6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Black lip MOP,it is an oyster shell.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

OK, thanks, I always thought MOP is the white color :)

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted