Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's a hazard. And cameo pricing has been wonky for years now.

2. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

oh no same :bag: I'm still buying, but mostly it's ones I manage to get from an uninformed buyer and lots where I sell the extras. There are a few I've gone higher on, but i think all but 1 were from before my industry co-unions went on 2 strikes which has made this a slow year. :bigtears: I should be responsible with my finances. Right?

.....right? :cyclops:

What I'm afraid of is this next year when I'm booked solid and rolling in dough. What kind of unrestrained monster will I become? :vamp: Well maybe I'll be too busy to check listings....I'll just come here and look lovingly at other's finds as usual. :happy:

kyratango, PepperAnna and bluumz like this.
  3. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

So how many different Hours do you have now? Out of how many? Was this the last missing one?

kyratango and PepperAnna like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

when I'm booked solid and rolling in dough

that's the time to take some risks , make a mistake or two.....and get away with it ...while snagging a few treasures along the way !!

kyratango, Bookahtoo, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  5. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Are you actually the Devil disguised as beautiful bird, because what you say makes sense and I shouldn't like it! :hilarious:

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

No , I'm an Angel....a night owl on gossamer wings , swooping in with common sense !!

Everyone is cutting back, selling off , looking for lowball deals , and doing what they can to get by.

If, you find yourself flush with cash , then the opportunity to throw some at the things that make you happy....should not be passed by !!

7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Bronwen is referring to images commonly called Raphael's Hours of the Day and Night. There are six "Hours" of the day and six "Hours" of the night. Bronwen has been searching for a good cameo of that hour to complete her collected set.
    HERE is a link that shows some beautiful color images of the Hours.
    THIS BOOK explains each Hour.

I'm sure Bronwen can give you more, and better, info, of course!

Figtree3, kyratango, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  8. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

LOL my husband says the same thing. "If it makes you happy, then it's worth it." Contingent, I'm assuming, on bills paid. I try to lavish love on the things I've got so I appreciate them...but it IS nice to have additions.... :D

9. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

An even bigger achievement, then! I bet she's having a truly well deserved and restful nap in celebration! :playful:

Bronwen, PepperAnna and komokwa like this.
  10. Bronwen

Not flush exactly, but, yes, with a small pot that will not be replenished, from which I feel comfortable funding some indulgences that do make me happy.

Not really. Bluumz knows of my passion for the Hours from talk we've had on the sidelines. She's absolutely right, this is the last one I needed. Hey, kids, collect all 12! I wouldn't mind having better specimens of some of them, such as the 3rd Hour of the Night, whom I have only in charm size.

BW 3rd Night.jpg

Ideally one large enough to include the critter sheltering in her sleeve. Many write ups say it is a "lethargical marmot", I'm the only one who says it's a dormouse:

edible-dormouse-in-a-house.jpg

I was, just got up. My sleep is disordered most of the time, but after this business of being up at 4am yesterday & having a little alarm in my head that kept waking me up last night, saying, Don't sleep through it!, I felt I deserved a snooze.

Figtree3, mirana, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  11. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

I apologize, @mirana! got distracted by other things. But I did receive him and looked him up in my BH Kinney book. Originally I read the back as 1851. There were 3 options for 1851- John G. Saxe, R.P. Cole, and A.L. Catlin. I was only able to find pics of a John G Saxe (pic below), a poet most famous for "The Blind Men and the Elephant". I haven't found pics of the other 2 gents. But now I think I read the date incorrectly, because the pics I took today make the last digit look like a "4", not a "1". Unfortunately, there are no 1854 cameo listings for 1854 cameos. So I remain unsure as to who it is.

Unknown mine 3.jpg Unknown mine 2.jpg
    jgsaxe 1.png
    Today I called the Worcester Historical Museum and spoke with William Wallace, the author of the BH Kinney book. He said that BH Kinney was one of his "obsessions" (and I completely understood!). He still collects information about Kinney and annotates his book. He was excited to know that I had 2 of Kinney's cameos, and requested pictures. He would like to post them on the Museum's FB page. If anyone else has BH Kinney cameos, he would love to know. He offered to help me figure out the name of the sitter of the my new cameo. He also said that the Museum may still have a few copies of the book and that if anyone wants one, they can contact him. Here is his contact info:
    williamwallace@worcesterhistory.net or 508.753.8278, ext. 106

Just for reference, here is my other BH Kinney Cameo that I believe is William Wheeler, 19th VP under Rutherford B Hayes. Wheeler 1.jpg Wheeler 2.jpg

This cameo recently sold at auction this summer, but I completely missed it. Don't know who it is, because there are pictures in the book of all the cameos listed for that year.
    bh kinney cameo not bought.png bh kinney cameo not bought back.png

12. PepperAnna

I think you are right. Marmot shmarmot!

mirana, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  13. PepperAnna

Agreed!

komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  14. PepperAnna

I like this idea very much. I would love to drool over what others have in their jewelry boxes.

Houseful, mirana and Bronwen like this.
  15. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

16. PepperAnna

kyratango, Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  17. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I was thinking the "signature" is actually infomation about a giftee. To Suzanne.....

Bronwen and PepperAnna like this.
  18. PepperAnna

You might be right. I thought the "A" was the first initial.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  19. PepperAnna

I missed that one, too. That's a lot of nice guy cameos in one group.

20. Bronwen

Good thought. There does appear to be a period/full stop after the A.

PepperAnna likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted