Can a Frame be dated or Identife.

Discussion in 'Art' started by mmarco102, Sep 20, 2020.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

I have an unusual request. I just bought this old print at small auction. It is not the well known print that caught my eye, but the frame. I know this is a bit weird but I have seen this Exact frame embellishment, sickle and pitchfork over wheat and gilted before, and I mean in person. But I can not remember where or when. Possibly in my dreams as a child I think. The memories go back that far or farther, but I had this frame(or one like it) in my hands way back when. It is as clear to me as typing this post. Did all kinds of reverse images and no luck at all. Looked at it with a loupe, it is carved directly on the wood frame, not attached. I guess my only question I can have, is this type of embellishment datable? Are there many frames of this type? Again, a reverse image came up short
    :(

1EB281FB-724F-4095-B262-A56A44656836.jpeg F5ED1AB8-3C99-4D2E-80E1-BDAEE8460121.jpeg 579BD350-4220-4139-86C3-534FCB6EB249.jpeg D3874760-839B-4051-AAA3-D432FABDC107.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Any Jewelry and Houseful like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Of course frames are dateable. Just like a piece of furniture or a decorative object. Sure someone will come along shortly to help you do so. In meantime, must say that's a very fitting frame for The Gleaners.

Debora

Sandra and mmarco102 like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'd guess the frame is contemporary with the print and dates about 1910-25... early 1900s.

Any Jewelry, blooey and mmarco102 like this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I agree. I usually date these frames to about 1910.

mmarco102 likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yours appears to be the photogravure art print that was done by Braun, Clément & Cie. The company's dates under that name are 1889-1910 which is consistent with the opinions above. Here's another copy in a period frame for comparison. (Yours has some damage.)

Debora

antique-the-gleaners-photogravure-engraving-jf-millet-framed-9352.jpg

mmarco102 likes this.
  6. mmarco102

I appreciate both inputs. I can agree with the date, but was this type of associated carving embellishment common place back than? I cant seem to find others, other then typical floral or scrolls?

7. mmarco102

Wow, thanks Debora. Great info :)

8. mmarco102

Oh yes, but that one is a new non original frame, no embellishment and much smaller :) size matters :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

my image is 17”X12.5/ frame 23”X18.5 woot woot :hilarious::hilarious:

But like I said earlier, their is something eerie about the frame in my life I cant understand. The print is an unexpected small bonus, thanks for finding that.....

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You're right. Frame of second copy isn't period. Apologies for the misinformation.

Debora

mmarco102 likes this.
  10. mmarco102

Please, never an apology needed. I am always grateful for your input and others. :D

Debora likes this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

These frames are not terribly common but are out there. The embellishment is usually made of cast gesso. As you can guess, a lot of the embellishments were damaged over the years and removed. Agree with a circa 1910 date.

I highly doubt this. I seem to see cracks in the gesso when I enlarge your picture.

mmarco102 likes this.
  12. mmarco102

Thank you VB, for your info. I more then likely was looking at the pile of dirt that embedded itself between the frame and embellishment. :facepalm:

Thinking the frame might hold more value than the print :cool:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. could be earlier than 1910. the flat ones were used a.o. on high quality Böcklin prints in Switzerland and into the Jugendstil period 1895 - 1905.
    the frame shown by Deborah could be even a bit earlier - rather German Gründerzeit with its profile.
    depends on where found; could be from the Braun branch in NY.
    https://data.bnf.fr/fr/14012307/braun_et_compagnie/

mmarco102 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted