Featured Can anybody I.D these finds

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by MR Treasure Hunter, Aug 6, 2019.

1. MR Treasure Hunter

MR Treasure Hunter Well-Known Member

So these two items where dug from a 1940s tip one is a glass tile but I've never dug one of these before and I'd like to know what it was used for, my guess it was probably something that was displayed in a shop but maybe somebody could tell me a bit more about it.

The second item is a red and white dog from the 1940s 50s I do love my figurines and I don't find many at all and I'd like to restore this piece but I have no idea of what the feet and tail would have looked liked I can not find a picture of it anywhere and there is no makers name or mark to identify it. I'd like to restore this to its original state. I'd be very grateful if anybody could tell me more about this figurine or can get me a picture of what it would have looked like.

2019-08-06 20.20.16.jpg 2019-08-06 20.20.29.jpg

Christmasjoy, KSW, ulilwitch and 2 others like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Brierley Just found this.
    The trading name Stevens and Williams was used until the 1930s when the company became Royal Brierley Crystal to signify its royal warrant of appointment as glassmakers. The first royal warrant was awarded by King George V and the most recent by HRH Charles, Prince of Wales. royal brierly.jpg

4. MR Treasure Hunter

Awesome thanks for that :) Its so fascinating leaning about the history of these objects.

5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I think that has to be right, but I can't find any proof.

I also think the piece is fabulous!

6. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Like that tile was the precursor to a display like this:

[​IMG]

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Does the dog figurine have any markings on it at all? What material is it made from?

8. MR Treasure Hunter

I've had another look at the dog but can't find any markings on it what so ever, the material is porcelain.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. MR Treasure Hunter

I've found this picture which is the closest I've got.
    il_340x270.1706855725_a686.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, a shop or retailer advertising tile. Nicely collectible.

I think your dog is early 19th and was probably on a base made to look like, oh, grass or a cushion. He may have been with a hunter.

11. MR Treasure Hunter

Awesome :) Looking at the dog it looks like a hunter dog but I was pretty sure it was 40s but I think your right and it makes more sense now when I think about it because even though the tip I dug these items from is allegedly 1940s I've dug out late 19th century bottles as well as later stuff so the tip is probably much older. I've been itching to go back there but I've been to busy with other things plus it takes the best part of a day to get to it I've just not had time but I'm going back there soon, I think there's a lot more goodies and possibly some nice stoneware as well and more figurines... etc etc.

12. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Alas, poor doggie is a remnant. I dunno about repairing him — I’d likely keep it as a curiosity. I think if 19th c it would be attached to a “cushion” or on a Staff fig base with a hunter as OBB thought.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted